Do you like CAS?

IB Prodigy

Personally, I despise CAS :( . First and foremost, it's insane to require 150 (or, I've heard, even more than that for some schools!) hours of CAS activities on top of all the more serious/important aspects of IB, such as the extended essay, exams, or internal assessments. Also, I oppose CAS to some extent on a matter of principle... I got involved in IB because I wanted a good academic challenge, and these CAS activities have nothing to do with that. The one and only kind thing I have to say about CAS is the fact that it provided some good material to write college application essays.

• Like 1

I LOVE CAS! Personally, I think I would not have survived the IB this long, had it not been for CAS, I need to come up with some creative ideas myself now and then, not only focusing on biology facts or else.. I really think CAS serves more of a purpose than you think - creativity, action and service are all important factors in future working life, at least to some extent. Also, 150 hours is nothing, I have easily completed 250 hours in one year.

I LOVE CAS! Personally, I think I would not have survived the IB this long, had it not been for CAS, I need to come up with some creative ideas myself now and then, not only focusing on biology facts or else.. I really think CAS serves more of a purpose than you think - creativity, action and service are all important factors in future working life, at least to some extent. Also, 150 hours is nothing, I have easily completed 250 hours in one year.

Hmmm... I suppose some of the CAS activities could indirectly involve some of the character-building-type-stuff that CAS was supposed to be about. For example, playing on a sports team can help build teamwork... but at the same time, so could working as part of a lab group in a biology or chemistry class! And hats off to you for getting so many hours done... I'd probably go insane if I tried to do that...

• Like 1

Personally, I despise CAS :) . First and foremost, it's insane to require 150 (or, I've heard, even more than that for some schools!) hours of CAS activities on top of all the more serious/important aspects of IB, such as the extended essay, exams, or internal assessments. Also, I oppose CAS to some extent on a matter of principle... I got involved in IB because I wanted a good academic challenge, and these CAS activities have nothing to do with that. The one and only kind thing I have to say about CAS is the fact that it provided some good material to write college application essays.

I agree with you. I hate CAS, and to make things worse, my school is so strict on it. -_-

I mean, doing CAS activities are fun but I hate writing reflections and stuff. I think it is a waste of time, having to write so much bs imo.

yeah. doing cas activities is fun, but writing cas journals or reflections takes time.

i guess it is worth doing cas cuz it kind of gives us opportunities to broaden our experiences...

it's just bad that ibo is forcing us to do some activities and give some reflections for diploma.

i just wanna do them by my own.. without getting any restrictions or whatever.

I like CAS because it sort of leads you to do activities that make your life a little more balanced and not so school-based, but for example for me C and S are easier than A, so that's something I dislike: that they ask 50 from each when some one may find Creativity challenging and way more consuming than , say, Action. But then again... balance.

and yeah, i do agree: paperwork is just rubbish, i just bs my way through and it gets boring after a while. other than that, its fine i guess.

Well, I don't have anything against C or A, since it encourages you to acquire new skills. I am very much against S because it forces you to change your personality. You see, the IB has the right to require that I gain new skills because it will always be a personal improvement to learn something new. IB has no right to force me become a nicer. Just because I don't have empathy doesn't mean I'm a worse person.

I don't mind the cas activities, but I hate filling in the forms. I mean, how should me playing volleyball benefit the others? Or, who is supposed to help you think about your learning while swimming? I only gave sports examples...I guess this is what I hate most.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate CAS. Absolutely hate it. I'm just hoping that when I apply to universities, it may give me a little bit of an advantage with all the activities I HAVE to do for CAS. But what I found was try to find things you really enjoy. We have groups at our school and I find all of them unappealing so I decided to form my own group and also, my friend and I yesterday went to an 8 year old's party and were dj's/ entertaining them and helping clean up a little bit. it was actually a lot of fun cos we were basically playing with the kids and we got free pizza and cake! It was a fun Friday night! Once you find something you really enjoy, it doesn't seem that bad. but I agree with you that 150 hours are crazy.

I agree with you. I hate CAS, and to make things worse, my school is so strict on it. :ashika:

I mean, doing CAS activities are fun but I hate writing reflections and stuff. I think it is a waste of time, having to write so much bs imo.

Would it make you feel better that most likely, no one is ever going to read it? Hahaha, we wrote all that **** for nothing. :ashika:

• Like 1