Do you like CAS?

IB Prodigy

Not everyone's paperwork are sent, if I'm not mistaken (2-3 candidates depending on the size of the school). So my statement stands until someone corrects me.

No, not everyone, but there is always that chance that such and such a person will be chosen :ashika:

Which is like any other IA really.

Only difference here is you aren't necessarily being "graded" on it.

Edited by Ashika

That's why I said most likely, no one is ever going to read it. There's obviously a chance that someone will read it but it's more likely that no one will. :ashika:

I didn't see the most likely part haha.

But just saying...

I had almost all my stuff moderated... talk about nightmare.

I absolutely love CAS. It's probably the best part of IB. + I love the fact that my school doesn't really care about reflections, so until now, I've had to make 1 reflection. I wouldn't mind doing them though, but I've heard that in some schools people have to do it after every single activity, that would be a bit over the top. I find the hours easy to get, right now I'm doing my first year of IB & I have about 200 hours in total. :dunno:

CAS is suuper fun!! (Mostly) Even when you feel like you're going to explode in any second and you feel that CAS is a waste of time, CAS gives you a chance to forget (even if it's only for an hour or two a week) about all the stress, worries and assignments of IB. I think it is what keeps you from becoming into a complete IB machine.

it's what keeps you human and part of the non-ib world. However the thing that I do detest is all the stupid paperwork :dunno: . Burocratic system sucks!

I think it's a pretty good thing. To do action helps you stay healthy, and it is way better to do in on your own than having PE lessons on the schedule. Service is also important, I think we should try to help those who need it. When it comes to creativity, I don't mind doing it, but I can realize that some people have problems with it. Also, I think it is good to be able to do stuff without feeling guilty about not doing homework, since CAS is a school thing.

The only thing I mind with it is all the reflections/goals/evaluations.

Personally, I despise CAS ^_^ . First and foremost, it's insane to require 150 (or, I've heard, even more than that for some schools!) hours of CAS activities on top of all the more serious/important aspects of IB, such as the extended essay, exams, or internal assessments. Also, I oppose CAS to some extent on a matter of principle... I got involved in IB because I wanted a good academic challenge, and these CAS activities have nothing to do with that. The one and only kind thing I have to say about CAS is the fact that it provided some good material to write college application essays.

I HATE CAS. i do not have time to do any CAS hours as yr 12 is a cram.. we have a tok essay, tok presentation, EE, math ia, psychology ia, and all the other pracs for science to do.. i think that IB should make it maybe 20 hours across each title..

• 3 weeks later...

I love CAS. I will graduate this year with about 1000 hours. What I hate is the paperwork. I'm not very organized, and I am REALLY behind on it. I'll probably do it a few days before it's due or something. I also seriously lack action hours. I never was great at sports, and I don't really have time/energy for practices anymore.

I love CAS. I will graduate this year with about 1000 hours. What I hate is the paperwork. I'm not very organized, and I am REALLY behind on it. I'll probably do it a few days before it's due or something. I also seriously lack action hours. I never was great at sports, and I don't really have time/energy for practices anymore.

Oh my god 1000 hours to write up would kill me. I'm only writing up the minimum of what I've done! Reflecting on everything I've ever done would officially be my death.

My school goes with the 150 Hour policy, although my CAS Advisor has said that although we all need to get the 150 hours done, we should look at it not as a chore, but as a chance to get out and about with other people and get away from our classwork to de-stress for a little while.

She also told us that some schools/universities look quite favourably upon people who do a form of service to their community.

I side with ashika and pretty much everyone else, i hate the paperwork too... i believe what i said in a lesson a couple of weeks ago was "i could go and lobby to prevent deforestation, then come back and fill out the same number of trees in paperwork" :)

Edited by Rob

Reflecting is so boring :P

Also so time consuming!! Nobody seems to know how many reflections to write either... I have been told anything between one per term, one per 10 hours and one per the whole two years!

My CAS Advisor actually published a booket for us to use internally, which goes over everything we're supposed to do for CAS... in it it says

Reflect at the end of each activity, or after every 10 hours for longer-running activities. An activity worth 20 hours would require 2 reflections. Reflections are a huge part of CAS and you will learn how to do it and how to improve.

oh, and it also says in this booklet that the reflections should be 500 words... EACH!

Wow... I dislike CAS because it uses up my time for studying... But so far, I haven't actually handed in ANY hours =/ Although if I do get the hours I technically did do already, then I'd have around 60. I'm in gr. 11, so it's fine =] a year to earn another 90 hours im guessing >.>