Do you like CAS?

IB Prodigy

My CAS Advisor actually published a booket for us to use internally, which goes over everything we're supposed to do for CAS... in it it says

oh, and it also says in this booklet that the reflections should be 500 words... EACH!

ARGH!

Well that's my reflections all rubbish, then. None of them are over 500 words, and at one point I've done a single reflection for 124 hours worth of service! >___<

I'm hoping that you just have a very enthusiastic CAS advisor! We don't really have a CAS advisor, just this lady who collects them all in at the end. Which I'm partly happy about... the idea of doing hundreds of reflection forms would probably kill me. We have special forms with targeted questions and 3-4 lines to answer them on, rather than doing big written reflections. Not that this saves much time! Also you have to pretend everything you did benefitted the community, which is very difficult to do... !

I think CAS is pretty cool, considering that you get to count some of the stuff that you actually ENJOY towards it. I draw and Photoshop stuff to relieve stress and that counts as CAS. :) So yeah, I like it. Of course, there's a certain component that I'm not quite fond of. [coughs] ACTION [coughs] But CAS forces you to actually do stuff that you wouldn't normally do and I think stepping out of your comfort zone is one of those things you HAVE to do in life because it teaches you so many important skills. <-- long run-on sentence there, haha.

I agree with you. I hate CAS, and to make things worse, my school is so strict on it. :)

I mean, doing CAS activities are fun but I hate writing reflections and stuff. I think it is a waste of time, having to write so much bs imo.

yes i hate cas! wel i understand the principles and everythingand i get it, but its so annoying when u are already a really busy person and they dont let u use most of the stuff you already do!! grr!!

How do you get that one signed off... and how does it benefit the community?

Those are the killer questions :D

I'm hoping to get it signed off by the club leaders of my school's art club, newspaper club, and the school magazine. It's a bit iffy, yes but I do submit all of my work somewhere (be it online, school newspaper, or the magazine) so yeah, I have people to sign it off. And uh, I haven't considered how "it would benefit the community" yet or even thought about how I would answer the reflection questions yet. But I will BS something up eventually! :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

CAS can sometimes be fun as we can pursue our personal interests such as certain sports and still get action hours. So, CAS for me depends on what type of activity I am doing. Overall, I think it is a good thing since we get involved in things other than academics and that also help us for our uni applications.

CAS wasn't too bad. One project i did with friends was a dogwalk to raise money for dogs for teh blind. It wasn't a huge success, as it as cold and nobpdy came except for a friend of ours and her two dogs. However it was still kind of fun to do.

Even the other things I did were terribly horrible either.

Edited by Dark Matter

• 7 months later...

I like CAS. Why?

a) It puts more meaning behind the diploma

b) (atleast where I live) you need to fullfill a set amount of hours anyways to graduate, so it isn't something I didn't expect

c) I do the hours without even considering doing it for CAS, when I start IB I will have finished the hours in half the first year easilt

d) Make sure I am not lazy lol