Do you like CAS?

IB Prodigy

I would beg to differ on the annoying part ;)

It is a good experiecnce for most students, and it is usually only annoying if you try to do it last minute, are forced to do a certian thing to get hours, or maybe you don't do anything action, creativity, or service based in your daily routine. Most of those are good skills to develop anyway, so i would tend to call CAS tedious, not annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I actually loved CAS...it was a sort of escape from the IB stress. And CAS benefited me alot as well in terms of confidence etc. But I don't think it's too much hours. I did a lot more than 150 without noticing it! They are finished quickly.

I agree with what some people said though, the paperwork is awful.

I've already completed all my hours. I enjoyed what I did for CAS but I think it's an unnecessity since I'd have done the stuff I did anyway coz I like(d) doing it...

Nevertheless, without CAS I would probably not have gone to Tanzania which was amzing (helped building schools, went to an orphanag, went on safari...) :P

• 2 weeks later...

CAS to me is the easiest part of the whole program. I'm only finishing up year 1 and I have fulfilled the 150 hours.

In action alone I have 120 hours, yay for sports!

Creativity was harder but joined extra curricular band which covered a chunk of hours. Service was alright just go out and help the world!

I personally love CAS because it takes my mind away from all the study and IB. Also, like others have said, CAS is good for uni application. I just hate the fact we have to complete 150 hrs - maybe there shouldn't be a min. limitation because I know ppl who just sit there doing nothing during CAS and the only reason they sign up is to get the 150 hrs done. I just feel a bit annoyed when ppls are trying to help out and those lazy idiots just sit there and still get the hrs.

• 2 months later...

At the college I am hoping to go to 2011-2013, CAS is part of the timetable (Link: http://www.candi.ac.uk/PDF/ib_brochure.pdf, top of page five). Each period there is 1 hour and 1/4, plus a 1 hour lunch and 2 15 minute breaks for a 6 and 1/2 hour day. Some people will have a double period of CAS each week, others 2 singles.

I think I will enjoy it should I get a place - I doubt I'd do it otherwise, but it's certainly beneficial for some 'downtime' from study and uni applications.

OMG. I am in my final year of IB. CAS still seems like trouble. I mean, its taking up my study time so it isnt cool. I have been doing stuff with CAS since year 1 but havent finished my hours as yet. XD

The reflections are very annoying to write. I doubt whether the IBO actually takes trouble to read all of them. :P

150 hours sounds like A LOT but it actually is nothing. For my IB I don't think I would have survived without the CAS aspect - and I think it would be selfish to do all that study and not care about others. It's great in a sense how it sort of builds the "prefect" IB student with the IB profiles - that is if CAS is enforced/completed correctly. :P

Just my piece of mind.

• 2 months later...

I really hate CAS! OMG be realistic pls, we have all those HW, IA, exams, ToK, EE and stuffs to do; and we must spend 150 hours for CAS??? I am taking 4 CCAs currently (2 of which count for creativity and 2 others for action) and I go home very late everyday except Monday. and it seems like most HW are due on the next day after the HW is given,so I dont have time to finish it. I usually start doing HW at 6 (thats the time I get home after CCA), and sometimes 4-5 hours are just not enough. if I had started doing HW earlier (no CCA) I could have had more time to sleep and therefore I wont be sleepy in class. plus writing the CAS reflections is just a waste of time, and we need to write a lot of balderdash to make our CAS supervisors happy. whats the point of doing CAS if it doesnt even contribute for the 3 addtnl points which come from ToK and EE only?!

As far as it concerns me, I think CAS is great. The creativity projects force you to undertake new fun challenges which are usually very interesting, the action gives a nice break from IB work to relieve the stress and the service just all blossoms when you see the rewarding effect it leaves in your community!

• 3 weeks later...

CAS is possibly the most frustrating part of the IB. The annoying thing about it is, with my school, there are already tons of co-curricular commitments which I do but they can't count of CAS and I can't drop them. So I have to take up more activities and such, which is difficult in itself to manage but then you add the fact that you have to reflect on how you're developing... It's really difficult to persevere and the only thing that keeps me going is the knowledge that I have to pass it if I want to pass IB. When it's over, it's going to make a lot of things a whole lot easier.