Do you like CAS?

IB Prodigy

I strongly dislike CAS.

The reason is because I do a lot of things during the week without cas.

Tuesday: Taekwondo

Wednesday: Guitar lessons

Thursday: Orchestral Band (I play the Clarinet)

Friday: Blues Band (Guitar) and Taekwondo (again)

Saturday: Horseback riding lessons in the morning.

And now i'll have to factor in some Service somewhere

I am already someone who gets out of the house and develops new skills. I DONT NEED THE IB TO DO THAT FOR ME!

So thats great, I'll probably get C and A up my nose but what im worried about is S.Quite honestly it pisses me

off how they say "You can make a difference!" When really the only people who are making a difference are doing

large undertakings that you cant do in the IB situation.Just scrap the whole thing and let me do my work. I want

to get into university, I dont want to waste more time than I already do on menial tasks.

Edited by SimonT

I'm not sure if it's been said or not.In my opinion CAS is good in theory bad in practice. Especially in service. The idea of service in my mind is that your doing something that has no personal gain your simply doing it because of "Human compassion" By the IB forcing people to participate in service they are turning it into a job as such where you get paid for doing it. This is peculiar because they say that having a job does not count towards service when in reality the only difference between having a job and doing service for CAS is that one pays in cash the other in a diploma. I believe that creativity should not be forced yet should be done. Action is required for us to participate in life... It's like Kant's idea on good will, a good willed action should be motivated by no motivation only whats inside if you believe in human compassion if that makes sense.

CAS is my personal pet peeve... I do heaps yet write almost none down for reasons above, and yes i will have the required by end of next year.

• 1 month later...

Not at all! Our CAS supervisor is a real pain, and you might think ~oh, it's his job to be a pain, 'cause he doesn't want you to fail~ I wish he was a pain that way, no, he's like an intense pain in the butt :D

We call him a CAShole hehehe

but yeah, he says that we should do CAS for the sake of just having an experience, and to not to do it for the hours... but that's what I do, I do activities 'cause I love to do them, and is probably the reason why I don't bother updating my CAS :)-.- : /

I love CAS.

My school requires 150 hours, and even though that may sound like a lot at first, I really don't think it is.

Basically everything you do that is "supervised" counts as CAS and can usually be categorized into Creativity, Action or Service.

I do ski racing on a team and tennis team (action) speech&debate, year book club (creativity) amnesty international in school and outside of school, student council, and am a bus monitor on the school bus (service).

It might sound like an excessive amount of things to handle on top of the IB, but those activities are really what I love doing. Even though I already have more than the required 150 hours, I did none of those hours for CAS. I actually love the fact they require CAS though, it actually encourages me to get involved in the activities I would otherwise want to pursue anyway, and gives me the feeling that I am not just wasting time I should be spending on academic work.

I have other friends that are complaining about CAS all the time, but I honestly don't think 150 hours over the course of two years is unreasonable.

• 3 months later...