Prepping for University

Matthews

Hi! 

I'm currently in Grade 10 in Canada and I am aiming for business programs in University's around Canada. Currently, the optimal undergrad program for me is Commerce at Queen's university. The courses I plan to take are:

HL Economics 
HL Psychology
HL Language and Literature
SL Math

SL French (Mandatory) 
SL Chemistry

I don't know if this is a good choice for my choice of future. Should I be taking HL math? Is double HL humanities smart?

Thank You !  

Don't take HL Math unless you need for university. Seriously, IB is hard enough and there's no point taking on extra work when you can do by with Math SL. I don't see any harm in taking double humanities for business. Since you're not going into science, there's not much point in taking an extra science, but isn't psychology a branch of science?

Good luck.

• Like 1

Don't take HL Math unless you need for university. Seriously, IB is hard enough and there's no point taking on extra work when you can do by with Math SL. I don't see any harm in taking double humanities for business. Since you're not going into science, there's not much point in taking an extra science, but isn't psychology a branch of science?

Good luck.

Okay thanks for the advice!

I don't think theres any real prerequisites for business programs like commerce other than SL math and english.

1. Definitely a smart move with Lang. and Lit. instead of literature. It's a lot easier to get high marks.

2. You don't really need HL math, definitely take SL to boost your marks

3. If your school offers any other SL science courses that you might find easier, take those instead of Chem

Your courses look great, best of luck!

Two higher levels in humanity sounds pretty good since you are actually intending on persuing business.

Also, are you comfortable with Chemistry? If you don't have any particular preference, I'd actually recommend biology as I feel it would be easier for humanity students.

I don't think theres any real prerequisites for business programs like commerce other than SL math and english.

1. Definitely a smart move with Lang. and Lit. instead of literature. It's a lot easier to get high marks.

2. You don't really need HL math, definitely take SL to boost your marks

3. If your school offers any other SL science courses that you might find easier, take those instead of Chem

Your courses look great, best of luck!

Two higher levels in humanity sounds pretty good since you are actually intending on persuing business.

Also, are you comfortable with Chemistry? If you don't have any particular preference, I'd actually recommend biology as I feel it would be easier for humanity students.

My school also offers Physics and Biology. I hear biology is just a lot of memorization. Is that a better choice? Thanks :D  

• Like 1

Personally, I'd go with Biology SL. It's HL Biology that's the killer and even then its not that bad. Maybe I'm saying this as I'm not the greatest at Chemistry but you do spend quite more time on Chemistry and all the applications then Biology. Just review Biology from time to time and you'll be fine.

I'm not sure why everyone's hating on chemistry! I took it as one of my SL subjects and I found it's mostly intuitive anyway. I didn't take bio, however with chem you didn't need to memorise many long-winded definitions, and I heard that taking bio is like taking another language :') (plus with chem you get to do the coolest pracs, which will make working on your IAs more fun!!)

• Like 1

I'm not sure why everyone's hating on chemistry! I took it as one of my SL subjects and I found it's mostly intuitive anyway. I didn't take bio, however with chem you didn't need to memorise many long-winded definitions, and I heard that taking bio is like taking another language :') (plus with chem you get to do the coolest pracs, which will make working on your IAs more fun!!)

I second that completely! I would have died in Biology, but in Chem if you can read all the trends in the periodic table, you're halfway through your exam revision already!

• Like 1