UWC experience?

pink_potato

Hi!
I'm in the middle of my Pre-IB year now, and I'm thinking of applying for a scholarship for UWC (United World College) to be able to study my two IB years abroad. However, I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on what school I'd like to go to, and if it actually will be any difference for me, since I already have the chance to take full IB at home...

I'm thinking of having Li Po Chun United World College (located in Hong Kong) as my first choice. Does anyone have any good or bad experience from there? I know that the Asian way of studying differs quite much from the Finnish, I've myself lived in South Korea for many years, and attended the International School of Busan (Busan International Foreign School). But how is it in a UWC, where there are exchange students from many countries?

Another thing I have on my mind is if my possibility to continue with track and field  will be diminished. I've heard that at least Atlantic College in Wales and the school in Hong Kong have an athletics team, but how serious is it? I practice several times a week, and compete in national championships, so it would really be a pity if I'd have to stop my hobby completely...

​This post is probably really confusing to read, sorry, but to sum it up: I'd love to hear if anyone has any experience with studying at an UWC school.

Thanks!

Hey, my friend got into UWC Hong Kong. Since the UWC experience is conjoined with the "multiculturalism" aspect, I'm know that they will have a majority of International Students so you wouldn't feel like you're part of the majority/minority...

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't choose the place where you can go. Obviously they'll ask you for your preferences but the decision is ultimately up in their hands.

https://hongkongcitygirl.wordpress.com I didn't go to UWC, but I used to read this blog out of interest and from what I can tell, this girl absolutely loved Li Po Chun UWC (she's German). It might give you an idea of what the place is like. :)

Ooh, thank you so much for the quick reply, and for the blog! I'll have a look at that! :)

Hey, my friend got into UWC Hong Kong. Since the UWC experience is conjoined with the "multiculturalism" aspect, I'm know that they will have a majority of International Students so you wouldn't feel like you're part of the majority/minority...

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't choose the place where you can go. Obviously they'll ask you for your preferences but the decision is ultimately up in their hands.

Yup, that's how it is. I get to rank the schools in an order of which ones I like the most, but at the end, if I would happen to get chosen, they could even put me in the school that was "on last place" for me...

• 3 years later...