Group 4 - Biology - Honey

Ahr

Hello,

I am about to do my Group 4 project.

My group's topic is honey and I will be doing the biology part.

Unfortunately I am quite stuck in the planning part. I presented my idea to my teacher but was rejected because using e.coli is too dangerous and with us not having the skill set needed.

I have read abstract and ideas of some research papers but am still stuck.

At this moment I am thinking of two ideas,

1. Compare the sugar content of cheap and expensive brands of honey using fermentation.

2. Study the effect of prolonged heating on honey's ability to inhibit baker's yeast growth ( I am not so sure about this one as I heard that baker's yeast are used with honey in producing mead), I would then check the Co2 content. 

I haven't found research topics that are suitable for my g4 and so I am a bit stuck here.

Can anyone help me with ideas?

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know, you don't need to do an experiment in the group 4 project at all. It can be done through empirical investigation or secondary data evaluation. Your ideas  seem quite interesting, but the factor of time comes into play. You probably won't have the time to carry out the entire experiment of fermentation or yeast growth. 

On the other hand, what you could do is focus on the biological aspects involved in the making of honey. Research into the varieties of honey produced by different bees, maybe call up or meet a local honey manufacturer and find out more about the environmental implications of honey produced industrially (loss of wild bees, domesticity of bees, change in composition of the honey, etc) and come up with ideas to counter this. And if you really want to do an experiment (I know I wanted to) then look for something manageable in the limited time that you have. Honey is used in a lot of beauty products- maybe you could test its pH and find out what the effect of this could be on the skin?

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Neither of these experiments will work. Honey is a natural antimicrobial agent for a reason. Because of the sheer amount of stuff dissolved in it, it creates so much osmotic imbalance that nothing can live on honey. This effectively means that you won't be able to grow yeast on it. There is a reason why honey is so effective in treating infections.

• Like 1

As far as I know, you don't need to do an experiment in the group 4 project at all. It can be done through empirical investigation or secondary data evaluation. Your ideas  seem quite interesting, but the factor of time comes into play. You probably won't have the time to carry out the entire experiment of fermentation or yeast growth. 

On the other hand, what you could do is focus on the biological aspects involved in the making of honey. Research into the varieties of honey produced by different bees, maybe call up or meet a local honey manufacturer and find out more about the environmental implications of honey produced industrially (loss of wild bees, domesticity of bees, change in composition of the honey, etc) and come up with ideas to counter this. And if you really want to do an experiment (I know I wanted to) then look for something manageable in the limited time that you have. Honey is used in a lot of beauty products- maybe you could test its pH and find out what the effect of this could be on the skin?

Best of luck!

This is true. But it's ALWAYS safer to go with an experiment because it makes up a huge mark of your EE. It is very difficult to get in the top band without an experiment; a practical facilitates this. Nevertheless, it is possible to do a Group 4 EE without an experiment (definitely not recommended, though). You would have time to carry out an EE on fermentation in general (I did!), but honey does not ferment yeast... or anything, really, so that's something you should look out for. With honey, microbiology is usually the best. Since you can't do that, I'd suggest keeping a more general sense of what you want to do in Biology - maybe looking at something involving plants :) 

Neither of these experiments will work. Honey is a natural antimicrobial agent for a reason. Because of the sheer amount of stuff dissolved in it, it creates so much osmotic imbalance that nothing can live on honey. This effectively means that you won't be able to grow yeast on it. There is a reason why honey is so effective in treating infections.

Exactly!! Also, I can't believe you've gotten a 45! That's amazing so congratulations xx

• Like 1

Best of luck!

This is true. But it's ALWAYS safer to go with an experiment because it makes up a huge mark of your EE. It is very difficult to get in the top band without an experiment; a practical facilitates this. Nevertheless, it is possible to do a Group 4 EE without an experiment (definitely not recommended, though). You would have time to carry out an EE on fermentation in general (I did!), but honey does not ferment yeast... or anything, really, so that's something you should look out for. With honey, microbiology is usually the best. Since you can't do that, I'd suggest keeping a more general sense of what you want to do in Biology - maybe looking at something involving plants :)

Exactly!! Also, I can't believe you've gotten a 45! That's amazing so congratulations xx

The group 4 project no longer counts at all marks-wise. I'm done with my science IA's and all we had to do was fill out a reflection of 50 words on what we did. We just have to have proof of having done the project- other than that it does not matter. The IB won't be looking much at what experiments you did, etc.

OH! Update on this. I think I was reading a thread about Bio EE and thought this was referring to EEs. Therefore, I retract any claims EE-wise, such as saying you have enough time. Sorry and thank you! x

Best of luck!

The group 4 project no longer counts at all marks-wise. I'm done with my science IA's and all we had to do was fill out a reflection of 50 words on what we did. We just have to have proof of having done the project- other than that it does not matter. The IB won't be looking much at what experiments you did, etc.

Also, I second what Siddhakshi says. My Group 4 Project was rushed and pretty low quality, but it shouldn't affect your overall IB score. It is just to encourage collaboration of the sciences and different students.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...