Help me on a question on integration!

ebu

Start off by trying to get the integral in terms of tanx somehow. I divided the numerator and denominator by (cosx)^2 to do so. Then, you should have this:

e1ahzc.png

Since the question said to substitute t=tanx, we can now substitute it. Also, we can substitute dt/dx as (secx)^2. This gives us:

al527n.png

From here, we can do some "tricks" so that we can substitute t=a(tanu), where a is going to be 1/2.

2wr3ghk.png

Finally, we can see that (secu)^2 cancels out with 1+(tanu)^2. This brings us towards the end...

2m4t30y.png

That should be the answer. Note that, at the end, I just substituted back the values for u and t, and also did some simplification of the radicals along the way.

I'm not sure if this is the best method to solve the question, but this is the way I thought of when I was solving it! I hope I was of some help, and good luck!

• Like 6

Start off by trying to get the integral in terms of tanx somehow. I divided the numerator and denominator by (cosx)^2 to do so. Then, you should have this:

Since the question said to substitute t=tanx, we can now substitute it. Also, we can substitute dt/dx as (secx)^2. This gives us:

From here, we can do some "tricks" so that we can substitute t=a(tanu), where a is going to be 1/2.

Finally, we can see that (secu)^2 cancels out with 1+(tanu)^2. This brings us towards the end...

That should be the answer. Note that, at the end, I just substituted back the values for u and t, and also did some simplification of the radicals along the way.

I'm not sure if this is the best method to solve the question, but this is the way I thought of when I was solving it! I hope I was of some help, and good luck!

Nicely done! This is a good solution for a good question. Impressive!

Edited by Vioh

Nicely done! This is a good solution for a good question. Impressive!

oh god, this question was in my december final (or something very similar to it) :( :( . That is a very nice solution!

Thank you! While tricky, I'll admit that its solution is very elegant.