Which Math level should i choose for studying in the US business

Michael-M

I have to choose my Ib subjects soon and i was wondering if any of you had information to help me choose the right math course for studying preferably at one of the top undergraduate business schools in the US. I heard that US schools prefer you having a higher IB score rather than taking harder math courses (SL or HL) which may bump your score down, if not would math studies be the better option? If you do take a harder level of math what type of score would the schools expect?

If you're looking at the ivy leagues, they expect at least 6, sometimes even 7. I don't think you should take studies. If you're good at math, take SL. If you're excellent (i.e. you got at least an A* or 90%+ before IB) then take HL. If you do take HL, know that its tough. Its touch to score and in the beginning, you might feel like you can't do it, it might even discourage and demotivate you. The world average for HL is around 4, so you can see how well people score. It would be great if you could take HL, but it shouldn't be a problem if you take SL and get 7 (its recommended that you get 7, but there is a chance they might even accept a 6).

Have a look at the requirements for the universities you're targeting. Another thing you can do is give SAT 2 - math or AP calculus or something similar. These scores are also considered and will help you get into a good university. I think most universities don't require the subject at HL, but some prefer HL candidates more than SL. So it really depends on where you want to go.

One last thing, don't take HL if you don't like math, or are not really good at it. Because it could affect your overall grade. I mean wouldn't you rather get a 6-7 in SL than get a 3-4 in HL?

• Like 1

I have to choose my Ib subjects soon and i was wondering if any of you had information to help me choose the right math course for studying preferably at one of the top undergraduate business schools in the US. I heard that US schools prefer you having a higher IB score rather than taking harder math courses (SL or HL) which may bump your score down, if not would math studies be the better option? If you do take a harder level of math what type of score would the schools expect?

Most American schools will take any math (studies/SL/HL). They want to see 3 or 4 credits at Algebra I and above (IB math is). SL or HL math is not really going to be 'make or break' for any U.S. school - they look at so many other factors. Either SL or HL would be my suggestion. 

• Like 1