IA Physics Research Question

qwerty826

Hello,

After I don't get good significant data results for my IA experiments, I decided to change it

The new one would be: on leakage (area) and the affects on the volume of leaked (water)

The experiment would be on the relationship gained fro measuring the leakage (very small like needle diameter) and the time taken and also volume loss of water. The initial volume of water would be 1500 ml. Therefore, the area of leakage would be the number of holes in the container.

The physics involve would be atmospheric pressure and also rate of drainage (does not seem so physics though).

Any comments or improvements?? (harsh ones are also welcome)

Edited by Isad Chung

I dont know if your teachers use turnitin, but if they do I STRONGLY suggest you change it because when you turn in you IA your RQ will appears as if you plagiarised it from this forum, even if it is your own post. It's happened before, so be careful

As for the RQ it self, erase the word "number", it has no use. Just say "the area of leakage"

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings fellow IB (ex)students!

I have written my Physics IA under the title "Investigating the Relationship between the Type of Material and the Coefficient of Static Friction". In my lab , I have used 6 blocks of different materials and put them on a wooden ramp. I then tilted the ramp until the block would start to slide, hence recording the angle of inclination and finding out the coefficient of the block's static friction by a derived formula. I conclude stating which one of the tested materials has the highest coefficient of static friction and that there is a direct relationship between material and friction.

Is this a valid IA topic or too simple?

Thanks in advance!

A rougher surface will have greater coefficient of friction as compared to the same ramp, I am not sure how you can quantify this in physics terms. The problem can be that while you get this amazing data, it's difficult to justify the empirical coefficients on a molecular level.

• Like 2

A rougher surface will have greater coefficient of friction as compared to the same ramp, I am not sure how you can quantify this in physics terms. The problem can be that while you get this amazing data, it's difficult to justify the empirical coefficients on a molecular level.

I second this.

You can't observe any trends from your data, because putting "material type" as your independent variable won't allow for any serious plots. This is why I think while the topic makes sense, this could be a problem for grading. 

In terms of pure physics of it, you can't even say that a given material always has the same coefficient of friction, because it depends on its surface finish. And in engineering there is a property called surface roughness which describes this phenomenon. It's measured in microns so it's not an easy job to do on your own, but you may want to read something about it, and if you don't want to change your IA too much, at least include a note of this in the discussion of your results.

Edited by Slovakov
  • Like 2