Help with TOK presentation

julianszruiz

Hello, 

I need someones help so I can pass the TOK presentation...

My central question is  "Until what extend does the movies shown to us affects our understanding of history"

I was thinking of relating this with  reason and imagination

I have some examples found in this link:  http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/15-of-the-most-historically-inaccurate-movies/?view=all

I already have notes in some of this movies, however I don't want to present just facts, can someone help me, so I don't just say facts about the real story and what is shown to us? 

PS: sorry this post has bad grammar, I'm not a native english speaker. 

Hello, 

I need someones help so I can pass the TOK presentation...

My central question is  "Until what extend does the movies shown to us affects our understanding of history"

I was thinking of relating this with  reason and imagination

I have some examples found in this link:  http://www.therichest.com/expensive-lifestyle/entertainment/15-of-the-most-historically-inaccurate-movies/?view=all

I already have notes in some of this movies, however I don't want to present just facts, can someone help me, so I don't just say facts about the real story and what is shown to us? 

PS: sorry this post has bad grammar, I'm not a native english speaker. 

hi! 

first thing: remember that your ToK presentation should include a Real Life Situation (RLS) from which you extract your Knowledge Question (KQ). Your KQ should be second-order, that is, about the tok world using tok terms. So while you have examples of your point, you first need a RLS (an article about one movie in particular, for example) from which you can extract a knowledge claim (KC); your KC could be something along the lines of "movies can negatively affect our understanding of history" or "movies over-simplify historical events", etc. Then, you make your KC into a KQ about the ToK world using ToK terms. For example, "to what extent does the media affect our perception of the world?" this is more abstract than "to what extent do movies affect our understanding of history". Having a more abstract tok question lets you use example from different AoKs, not only movies and history, for example. 

sorry for the rant. now going to the actual question, maybe you can make the "examples" interactive --> ask your classmates, what is this movie about? and see if they respond with historically accurate information or not? something of the kind. Maybe you show them a still from the movie, like  "when Charles Howard cries out, “we’re losing too many ships.â€" and ask them what's going on here? and see if anyone places the event in the historical context and you say WRONG, this actually didn't happen at all because England lost no ships! or something like that. These are just ideas, but having the audience interact during the presentation makes them more involved with what you're saying. Another idea is to think of catchy titles for your slides like "What the media didn't mention" or "Movie you love... which are WRONG" or things like that. 

I hope these helped :) oh and your grammar is fine! (although my first language isn't English either so maybe I'm not the best judge)