How are you managing?

Elc

Hello guys.

I have around four months until my IB finals and a week until my mocks.

Not surprisingly, as a typical IB student, I am horrified. Time went so fast in those past years.

How do you guys study for all the content for the test? I've been scoring relatively alright for my term grades since most of the content that comes up in occasional tests are always about things learnt recently in class. My default tactic of cramming in the last moment (...this surprisingly works with many things, including SATs) has worked up until now, but the sheer quantity of content to cover for the final seems.... excessive for my poor brain. How did/are you guys managing? 

Also, how do you stay concentrated? Even when I open a chemistry book, I get distracted every 30 minutes and end up spending three hours on facebook/fanfiction/IBsurvival/pokemon/TVseries/League of Legends/socializing/mobile games etc etc. I wasted the last months on procrastination over anything else.

I don't know, I am more horrified of my lack of motivation more than the actual prospect of the test. It just seems unrealistically distant, so I just end up procrastinating while in reality it is right behind the corner. I know that as a fact, but for some reason I don't feel as much nervous. It feels like I'm still at IB1. I don't know. I'm kind of scared that with my current effort would not maintain even my current scores, and I have to be self-motivated because nobody gives me the extra push in my family/school, which is..uh..clearly not working.

What about you guys?

Edited by Elca

If you get distracted easily try watching khan academy videos on the topic you are currently studying. I can watch them way longer and stay concentrated while doing it. When it comes to books I try to make checkpoints like e.g. two subtopics after which I take a short break.

One thing that people forget, I know I do, is that mental and physical health is more important than grades. But by saying that you must be willing to sacrifice your almost all your free time for work. When I get distracted I take a mini nap 5-15 minutes, oddly enough when i finish I'm pretty focused.

If you get distracted easily try watching khan academy videos on the topic you are currently studying. I can watch them way longer and stay concentrated while doing it. When it comes to books I try to make checkpoints like e.g. two subtopics after which I take a short break.

Acctuaaaallly, I've tried it, and realized I get distracted from watching khan acedemy videos much quicker than, say, reading the textbook.

..unfortunately I usually don't have the patience to watch them one by one. haha... The checkpoint idea sounds amazing! Let me try that, thank you!

Haha you sound just like me... im procrastinating and playing way too many video games atm. 

Welcome to the "maybe I'll start tomorrow" club, enjoy your stay. 

One thing that people forget, I know I do, is that mental and physical health is more important than grades. But by saying that you must be willing to sacrifice your almost all your free time for work. When I get distracted I take a mini nap 5-15 minutes, oddly enough when i finish I'm pretty focused.

Actually, now I think about it, that is the exact problem. I make plans that do sacrifice all my free time but I think my subconscious is not amused by that idea.

Anyway, mini-napping..sounds like an interesting strategy to develop! Though, if you don't mind me asking, how do you manage to.. uh... not nap for hours? I haven't tried this many times so I wouldn't know exactly, but don't you feel like you want five more minutes of nap and end up having few hours of sleep?

• Like 1

Acctuaaaallly, I've tried it, and realized I get distracted from watching khan acedemy videos much quicker than, say, reading the textbook.

..unfortunately I usually don't have the patience to watch them one by one. haha... The checkpoint idea sounds amazing! Let me try that, thank you!

Haha you sound just like me... im procrastinating and playing way too many video games atm. 

Welcome to the "maybe I'll start tomorrow" club, enjoy your stay. 

Actually, now I think about it, that is the exact problem. I make plans that do sacrifice all my free time but I think my subconscious is not amused by that idea.

Anyway, mini-napping..sounds like an interesting strategy to develop! Though, if you don't mind me asking, how do you manage to.. uh... not nap for hours? I haven't tried this many times so I wouldn't know exactly, but don't you feel like you want five more minutes of nap and end up having few hours of sleep?

I go to sleep at at 10:00 and wake up at 7:00. This usually uses all of my time but atleast im not a zombie. I set alarms, i never really snooze.