School's enforcement

biozalp

Hello folks,

I'm a junior and going to take exams spring '17. However my school is forcing us to finish our extended essays at the end of may which will be submitted to IB around november i believe. Do they have the right to do that, they even threaten us to send unfinished extended essays if we surpass the due date they have set. Is there anything that we can do, or shall we obey them without questioning? There is usually no command given to school regarding this topic i believe, because there is dozen of topics stating " I have 1 week to complete extended essay and seeking help"

Edited by biozalp

Schools set their internal deadlines, whatever they say is final. The IB deadline is, I believe, March before your exams, but mostly schools set their deadline earlier... Because that one is indeed final. While May of IB1 is a bit early, it is definitely better to get it over with before the 2nd year.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, yes, they do have the right to do that. The IB sets the deadline for schools to submit the EE, but the schools have to set internal deadlines as well, which are not given to or moderated by IB. The school can do as they wish. This really is early, but maybe they'll extend the deadline. Like in our school the final copy was to be submitted by Jan end, but they extended the deadline. So maybe you can talk to your teacher about it? Don't obey them without questioning, but don't smother them with questions either. Just ask what should be done if you think its possible to give a better essay by so and so date.

• Like 2

Maybe you can ask around what their pedagogy is for having EE so early. This is very unfeasible for EE in the sciences and math because you need a strong foundation to even understand what most topics are about and how they relate to the others. Group 1, 2, and 3 EEs due this early are also a problem if your writing abilities are not yet up to par. 

That being said, spring of Year 1 is an excellent time to work on your EE's. Most people don't spend too long working on it. If you start soon I think you are capable of producing top quality work. 

Thank you for your replies

Maybe you can ask around what their pedagogy is for having EE so early. This is very unfeasible for EE in the sciences and math because you need a strong foundation to even understand what most topics are about and how they relate to the others. Group 1, 2, and 3 EEs due this early are also a problem if your writing abilities are not yet up to par. 

That being said, spring of Year 1 is an excellent time to work on your EE's. Most people don't spend too long working on it. If you start soon I think you are capable of producing top quality work. 

Yeah, most of my friends has chosen english on their EE because they don't have enough info about the topic and our school's english level is high, normal curriculum students are doing interactive orals at the same time we do but theirs is not submitted to any other authority and graded internally. I indeed agree with the junior spring being the best time for your EE however enforcing and threatening people is not how it should be.. Thank you.

Unfortunately, yes, they do have the right to do that. The IB sets the deadline for schools to submit the EE, but the schools have to set internal deadlines as well, which are not given to or moderated by IB. The school can do as they wish. This really is early, but maybe they'll extend the deadline. Like in our school the final copy was to be submitted by Jan end, but they extended the deadline. So maybe you can talk to your teacher about it? Don't obey them without questioning, but don't smother them with questions either. Just ask what should be done if you think its possible to give a better essay by so and so date.

One of the things they said about deadlines being that early is people tend to leave the work to the last moment. They even had students submitting half finished EE at the last day. If they would set the deadline like october or so I wouldn't be writing these lines, however may '16 is too early to submit. However i will check again with the IB committee asap. Thank you.