Study group for Biology HL Students!

usernamed

Okay.. So I'm currently thinking of ways of doing very well or at least well on my finals.

I was thinking of getting a biology tutor, BUT.. I'll be spending too much cash on tutors if I do so. I already have a math tutor at the moment, so I'm thinking its a bit unnecessary when I can have a study group and go to after school classes.

My school offers after school biology classes at the moment, but I'm finding that I'm not getting as much as I ideally want from them. I think its mainly because of the time. Everyone is so EXHAUSTED after school and stuff, including the teachers, so its like the whole lesson ends up being a bit lousy. Dont get me wrong though, because I'm still benefiting from them. Just not as much as I want to.

Anyways, I just got this idea of having a study group on skype with a bunch of HL biology students who are serious and committed. I honestly dont want anyone who isn't serious and just wants to mess about to be a part of this because our exams are so close.(For those who are sitting the May 2016 exams).. So we dont have time for all that, I'm sure many would agree with me.

So if this ends up working out.. This study group would be for HL Biology students who are sitting their exams in May of this year. I know an issue that would pop up is the difference in time zones since we all live in different parts of the world..

So I think a solution for that would be:

1) Create a whatsapp/viber/skype group with all of us in it. So that means we can study together through texts and voice-notes, since those can be checked at any time. SL students can be included in this group if they want, but they are gonna have to keep in mind that they're going to receive content that they do not need to know about. 

2) For our skype study sessions, we are going to have to negotiate a time where we will all be available to study together.

What do you guys think?

Also do you have any other suggestions for this study group?

Lastly, for those who are genuinely and seriously interested in being a part of this, please message me telling me that you want to be part of this group. 

It's a great idea but I don't think skype will work because of

a) safety reasons, and

b) time zones.

I know for me, I live in a boarding school so there's no way I'd be able to manage coordinating time-wise. Whatsapp seems like a better idea...

There's actually a HUGE Skype group with a bunch of us IB students on there. It's really general and not just about studying. So, while safety issues do exist (I don't imagine how WhatsApp would be safer than Skype considering the fact that you actually get someone's number - and therefore personal details - off of WhatsApp), we have had a successful group. Despite the difficulty of time zones, chatter and study help do exist. 

Anyway, I take Biology HL and I'm interested in taking part of anything you decide to do :) 

• 5 months later...

So I think a solution for that would be:

1) Create a whatsapp/viber/skype group with all of us in it. So that means we can study together through texts and voice-notes, since those can be checked at any time. SL students can be included in this group if they want, but they are gonna have to keep in mind that they're going to receive content that they do not need to know about

Hey, don't you think it would be wasting of time? The most effective learning is face-to-face with teacher, or face-to-face with a book. I recommend to find somewhere skepe biology tutor for example here 

https://preply.com/en/skype/biology-tutors and start hard working. 

On 7/12/2016 at 0:33 PM, TheEnthuGroup4Student said:

i am interested, although I am only in grade 11

is the skype group running?

PM me your gmail and I'll share you our study group doc and files etc.

Mind you its super inactive right now since its the summer, things will probably pick up after the holidays.