How Easy is Maths Studies Compared to Maths Standard Level?

BongSoldier

I heard from someone currently doing the IB that if you get a 3/7 in maths standard level you can move to maths studies and get a 7/7.

Is this true? Which one should I choose?

I have no interest in maths (I like dancing ) so I don't think I will be choosing the High Level maths course.

Thanks, BongSoldier OUT.

Well, there is no conversion of grades for SL to studies as far as I know. But math studies IS very much easier than math SL. What you score in studies depends on how well you are at math. If you're not that great (can't get 4 or above) in math SL, then I think you should shift to studies. Although, you should have a look at the requirements for the universities and course(s) you'll be applying for. If you require SL, then maybe you should try to work hard for that, otherwise studies is good enough, given you don't even like math.

Math studies is as easy as it gets. If you don't know the exact level, go check out some past papers; there are tonnes available on the net. Compare SL and studies past papers and you'll know the difference for yourself. Then you can choose better which one you want to take.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Definetely easier! I was at math SL during IB1 and i got grades between 2-4 and i changed to studies during IB2 and i am betwen 6-7 with significantly lower amount of studying! So, if your university does not require math SL, change to studies immediately. It is the best decision i ever made in IB since it gives you more time to spend on other subjects!