TOK presentation: 2 ideas, but are they good?

FrenchIB

Hi,

My tok oral is due in two weeks and I've been searching and searching for  an Knowledge issue, depicted from a real life situation. 

Here are two ideas I found, could you tell me if they're 'tok-suited' please?

1) RLS:  based on article from the Guardian, an Afghan woman stoned to death after being married out of her will and allegedly trying to  elope with another man. 

WOK : reason and language

KI: How is religion/history (i’m not too sure yet) a factor in determining the extent of women’s rights in the world?

2)  RLS: gun laws in the USA, Obama is forcing the Congress to change the gun laws in the US in order to achieve national security, to have a lower risk of mass murders

WOK: reason, emotion, sense perception, language

KI: don’t have a specific one, but ethically/politically, should the President force a law in order to obtain a safer society even if the population opposes it?

What do you think?

Thank you ! :)

I think they both have potential to be good, but I would tighten up the KI a bit for both. Maybe "what role should religion/history play in ethics?" By saying women's rights, your question is not exclusively about knowledge.The second one is a bit trickier, and you could come up with a bunch of different knowledge issues depending on the direction you want to take it. Maybe "to what extent should reason be more influential than emotion in making ethical decisions?" 

Hope I helped! And best of luck!

• Like 2

they are good! like WhitneyGrace above said, the first one should be more knowledge-oriented (not so specific); the one she suggested is good

for the second one, it's trickier, as you don't want to get too political, but maybe something like  "in what ways is reason more important than emotion when making ethical decisions?" (or emotion being more important than reason, it depends), or the one WhitneyGrace suggested. 

remember that if you ask a "to what extent question", at some point you have to answer with an extent (a lot, a little, sometimes, more often than not, etc.) but if you ask a "in what ways question" you don't have to answer with a number/extent, just describe the ways. :) good luck!

• Like 1

Hey, there. They seem very good, but you should create a second-order knowledge issue as well. You can stick with that specific one, but you should also have one that is more abstract and can be applied across disciplines. 

Nevertheless, they are very interesting and hot topics right now. Best of luck!

• Like 1

they are good! like WhitneyGrace above said, the first one should be more knowledge-oriented (not so specific); the one she suggested is good

for the second one, it's trickier, as you don't want to get too political, but maybe something like  "in what ways is reason more important than emotion when making ethical decisions?" (or emotion being more important than reason, it depends), or the one WhitneyGrace suggested. 

remember that if you ask a "to what extent question", at some point you have to answer with an extent (a lot, a little, sometimes, more often than not, etc.) but if you ask a "in what ways question" you don't have to answer with a number/extent, just describe the ways. :) good luck!

That sounds good ! Or 

maybe I can do "to what extent/or i what ways is reason AND emotion important is making ethical decisions?" because, i can't seem to use emotion on its own in discussing ethical decisons such as gun laws.

Thank you  so much !

Edited by FrenchIB

• 2 weeks later...

Im looking at a similar Knowledge question considering both ethics and religion,

Im looking into the migrant crisis in Europe. However, I'm having trouble coming up with a knowledge question that "fits". 

My question right now is "Considering ethics and religions, is it our duty to help another human in need, despite  different social/cultural values. 

Any suggestions would help!

Thank you