Craren

I'm doing IB next year and I think I've got my choices planned:

Physics HL

Maths HL

Econ/Bio HL

Econ/Bio SL

French B SL

English Lang Lit SL

I'm quite worried about IB so I'm really just wondering if anyone can tell me anything they think I should know about the classes I'm planning on taking (especially my HLs). I' mostly worried about Physics and Maths. I'm in one of the highest Maths classes but I'm averaging an A- and an A- in Physics. In complete honesty (and I have also talked to my teachers about it) do you guys thinks I could pull it off? Is HL Maths and HL Physics really that hard?

Thanks in advance :D

P.S. I'd prefer not to get some response like "You can do it as long as you put your mind do it" or something like that. Just any tips you have and anything you think I should know before jumping into this.

Hey there, I can't speak for Physics but I can tell you about Maths. First of all your marks in math right now have little indication to how you will do in HL since it is a completely new atmosphere. I personally find HL Maths easy so far, however I know that most people find it difficult. I would argue that to find it easy you have to have a very solid understanding of concepts, including any math that you have learned before starting IB.

To be successful for math you have to dedicate a lot of time each day just doing the homework and checking your answers. At the higher level it is very fast paced and missing out on even a single lesson makes catching up just a rolling snowball. I say this from experience: One time I didn't do the homework for a day since I had something else to complete but since the lessons for each day is built upon the previous lesson, it took me a full week to catch up on all the lessons and homework. And this was only IB1!

I'd also like to mention is that how well you do really depends on your understanding, but most importantly hard work. I have seen other people's grades drop at any point they slack off for a bit, even though they are stronger in math than me. If you're aiming for a 6 or 7, it takes a lot of dedication and appreciation for math. If you consistently put in effort I think you can pull it off. Last comments: Make sure you ask for help if you do not understand a concept or even any small thing! Math is built on more of a foundation than any other subject and if you need help you should ask as soon as possible. Especially for HL Maths, you will plummet if you don't get something and it will be a huge pain catching up to the pace of the subject.

Sorry for the long post, I hope this helped! Good luck!

I'm doing IB next year and I think I've got my choices planned:

Physics HL

Maths HL

Econ/Bio HL

Econ/Bio SL

French B SL

English Lang Lit SL

I'm quite worried about IB so I'm really just wondering if anyone can tell me anything they think I should know about the classes I'm planning on taking (especially my HLs). I' mostly worried about Physics and Maths. I'm in one of the highest Maths classes but I'm averaging an A- and an A- in Physics. In complete honesty (and I have also talked to my teachers about it) do you guys thinks I could pull it off? Is HL Maths and HL Physics really that hard?

Thanks in advance :D

P.S. I'd prefer not to get some response like "You can do it as long as you put your mind do it" or something like that. Just any tips you have and anything you think I should know before jumping into this.

I'm going to be honest that IB is not easy, but it all comes down to prioritizing your work and time management skills. 

The only subject that I can really give you advice for is bio. It's a lot of content especially at HL. SL has a lot less content. You should not be studying for your tests in bio the night before. Instead, you should be doing a bit of review day by day so you can really understand the concepts. There are a lot of great resources out there for IB bio and hopefully, you get a good teacher because that will help a lot. Bio is not hard to do well in if you're the kid who studies bit by bit everyday. Also, some of the content in bio is really interesting, so if you like bio in general so far, that's a plus. 

I can speak for French & Bio!

Bio HL - there is a lot more content covered in HL than SL Bio - by a lot. The plant unit is complex, detailed, and 'big'. You also have the IA based on the plant unit - which is not that bad. There is a lot of self teaching - which you don't always have time for. You do a lot of practicals (labs), both SL &HL. It can be overwhelming because of the amount of content being covered, but you you genuinely enjoy biology, it won't be so overwhelming. 

French SL. I suggest to reading books or extra french papers and know your vocabulary well. Reading a small chapter book in french could be the start - you'll be doing orals and writing practices often, and doing extra work will benefit you. You'll also be reading long frech articles and having to write about them - it can be difficult. 

For Maths HL and Physics HL - it's a tough combination, and one that you will need to expect to have to put time into. I've found Maths HL has required more time for me and like Elite X-Naut said, just missing one lesson of Maths (or even Physics!!) means that you miss out on a lot of vital information and will definitely need to catch up on it. whilst I wouldn't say you have to go over your notes every day, notes are super important, because you'll find that you'll have forgotten a lot of the stuff you did before you covered a hard topic. Regardless, if you're enjoying the subjects right now, go for it!! i've found them fine, personally, and haven't struggled with them much. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey : ) I'd like to to say don't get dissuaded by that A-! Maths HL does take time but for me, at least I know what to do, so it's fine unlike subjects such as english and history where I am reduced to staring into space wondering how to write better (like how???)  For Maths I just have to make sure I have competent notes and I do my homework.