Hi everyone!!!

I've submitted my first Maths HL IA draft to my teacher and my feedback is along the lines of:

would get full marks if:

made shorter (it's 10k words but that includes symbols and numbers, that's 30 pages for the body and around 36 including title page, contents, rationale, appendices, etc.)

and made SIMPLER

I love maths and really stretched myself with this project, going into extensive proofs using topology, logic and more.

He also told me to make it so that 'anyone in my class' would understand.

I've simplified it, added diagrams with bold, red arrows to show exactly WHAT I'm doing in steps, and my question is:

1.) Do moderators read the Internal Assessments (for maths like for other subjects), word for word? or do they just skim through/get a feel for the approach? Essentially, what I'm asking is: if I have a sentence that explains a step/process, that is not that trivial, will the moderator give it 15 seconds to make sense of it, or just think...not clear enough??? 

Also, does anyone in my class really have to understand it? Because my teacher would like to me to give it to a few of my class mates to see if they make sense of it, but let's face it, at this stage and with the workload..who's gonna add a stretching 30+ paper to the pile? XD

Anyway,

There are probably no official IB IA moderators on this website, if so...please tell me!!

But I wanted to know what you guys think..??

Thank you!!

Rebs

Edited by rebecca.vanderm

30 pages is a lot.

You need to make it shorter. There is not a big problem about the complexity of your IA. Since your teacher had told you to make it more simple, do it. The whole class does not need to understand it, but at least the top 5 students should understand it.

30 pages is a lot.

You need to make it shorter. There is not a big problem about the complexity of your IA. Since your teacher had told you to make it more simple, do it. The whole class does not need to understand it, but at least the top 5 students should understand it.

Well we are a class of 4 so...XD

But is it really that much?

I mean, there is technically no page number limit?!

I've shortened the paper as much as my topic allows IMO.

But I guess the real question is: will all be read???

Thanks for that!!

:)

30 pages is a lot.

Well we are a class of 4 so... XD
But is it really that much?
I mean, there is technically no page number limit?!
I've shortened the paper as much as my topic allows IMO.

But I guess the real question is: will all be read???

Thanks for that!!
:)

Please do not make duplicate threads. See my response on your other one.

If there are only 4 HL students, all of your work will be externally moderated so it's not only your teacher who will be grading your work.

Alternatively if you trust me enough, you can send the IA to me and I can grade it for you without providing any feedback.

Alternatively if you trust me enough, you can send the IA to me and I can grade it for you without providing any feedback.

I mean..I would but what do you study? and do you charge? 

I study engineering (first year). No charge. By grading i just mean a mark out of 20, no additional feedback though, which is really what your peers can do had you had a large enough class.

I study engineering (first year). No charge. By grading i just mean a mark out of 20, no additional feedback though, which is really what your peers can do had you had a large enough class.

Well my friend had a bad experience sharing her IA, can I send you two without telling you which is mine??
I know this may sound stupid...but it's a bit daunting to sent..

would that work for you?? Edited by Gaby
Please, don't post twice in a row. Edit your posts instead.

Well my friend had a bad experience sharing her IA, can I send you two without telling you which is mine?? 

I know this may sound stupid...but it's a bit daunting to sent..

haha, seriously? don't you think it is too much to ask someone to read 2 crazily-long essays, knowing that one of them is entirely irrelevant? This is none of my business, but the choice is simple. If you trust kw0573 (who, btw, has already graduated and is kind enough to offer you some help), then send it to him. But if you don't trust him, then don't send it.

Regarding your main question in this thread, I personally think 30 pages (i.e. 10 000 words) is way too much, not to mention this is only an IA, not an extended essay. Having a super-long essay is not only a sign that your topic is too broad, but it's also a sign that you're lacking conciseness. Of course, I haven't read your IA, so I can't really judge. But my main concern is whether the IB examiner will be willing to read through your entire IA in order to give you a fair grade. Examiners are humans, and it can be extremely frustrating for them if they have to read something that is 3 times longer than it should be. Considering that you still have a lot of time ahead of you (I see that your examination session is Nov 2016), I think you can definitely pull it off and make your essay shorter.

• Like 1

hey, i suffered with my IA as well, but im finally done and i got a 7 the magic number, people here were kind enough to help me and what goes around comes around you can contact me and i would absolutely love to help, i can tell you where the complexity is what is misunderstood or hard to understand and what you dont need to keep in order to shorten it 12 pages a lot on its on 

-math HL student 

• Like 1

they recommend 6 to 12 pages; you can go over the limit, but 30 pages seems a bit too much. Maybe you did two many things... could you narrow the topic further? OR try to concentrate on one particular part and take out what's related to other things? Since I haven't read your IA, i don't know, but it seems like you might want to make it more concise. Good luck! 

PS: do not double post. people will answer in due time :)