IA's VS The Final Exam

Echowave

Curious to know...

If a person gets a level 4 in their IA but on their paper 1 & 2 etc they get a 7 is their predicted grade a 7 then?

I understand that some IA's account for 20%-25% of the final grade depending on your subject, etc.

Because to people who really suck at doing internal assessments in specific subjects, getting a low grade is a huge bummer and doing well in the finals would obviously raise their final grades, but is it enough to help them get what they want?

What does everyone think? 

Predicted grades aren't solely based on your performance in assessed work. Teachers also take into account your attitude in class - my Math teacher raised by predicted based on my attitude, I hadn't yet displayed any evidence of a higher grade. So just have a positive attitude and try your hardest.

Now, internal assessments are usually worth about 20-25% as you said but exams count for more in every instance. My English teacher keeps saying that he's had students do poorly in the IOC and FOA but they aced the written paper and did well.

• Like 1

Predicted grades aren't solely based on your performance in assessed work. Teachers also take into account your attitude in class - my Math teacher raised by predicted based on my attitude, I hadn't yet displayed any evidence of a higher grade. So just have a positive attitude and try your hardest.

Now, internal assessments are usually worth about 20-25% as you said but exams count for more in every instance. My English teacher keeps saying that he's had students do poorly in the IOC and FOA but they aced the written paper and did well.

You must have a good english teacher then lol, mines is pretty crap biased guy my teacher, won't mark me or any students who don't follow his methods english is super subjective and therefore, his marking in my opinion is pathetic. I wanted to study english at university and he even discouraged me to study the subject because he thinks I don't "qualify" for it. However, I'm not going to let that stop me. He's marked me really low on my written tasks. I've got a 6 on my FOA for both but apart from that everything else is 3/4 hopefully that 50% from the external exams will save my grade.

Edited by Echowave

use a website like http://www.benegg.net/grade_calculator.html to calculate what grade you would need to achieve your desired grade in a subject. 

if your teacher is marking you up due to attitude that's kind of stupid because in your official ib results you're not marked on attitude so unless you're applying to uni with only your predicted that will likely end up disappointing you.

• Like 2

use a website like http://www.benegg.net/grade_calculator.html to calculate what grade you would need to achieve your desired grade in a subject. 

if your teacher is marking you up due to attitude that's kind of stupid because in your official ib results you're not marked on attitude so unless you're applying to uni with only your predicted that will likely end up disappointing you.

The irony is, when I first stepped foot into his classroom, everyone in my class was told that we would be getting 7s. So far only about 3 people are getting solid 7s with 5 getting 6s and the rest are 5/4s which is highly disappointing.

The irony is, when I first stepped foot into his classroom, everyone in my class was told that we would be getting 7s. So far only about 3 people are getting solid 7s with 5 getting 6s and the rest are 5/4s which is highly disappointing.

honestly that attitude from teachers doesn't help anyone. that break down of 7's 6's and 4/5's in your class is totally normal. I'm pretty sure ib is marked on a bell curve so it only makes sense for the very top people to receive 7's and the majority receiving 3/4/5's

honestly that attitude from teachers doesn't help anyone. that break down of 7's 6's and 4/5's in your class is totally normal. I'm pretty sure ib is marked on a bell curve so it only makes sense for the very top people to receive 7's and the majority receiving 3/4/5's

I guess.

But to be fair, at this point I don't care for what the teacher thinks of me, he can have his opinion of me the way he likes it, but nothing is going to stand in my way to stop me from working as hard as possible to achieve the best result that I know I can achieve.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...