Is my EE topic narrow enough?

idrathernotsay9

I think attributing the Soviet policies of '45 - '55 as any "causes of the Cold War" is irrelevant unless one of your arguments is going to be saying the Cold War started after 1945 (which would be a pretty new one..). So ideally, you'll just be looking at these policies by ways of fuelling the Cold War. But how would you phrase your research question? That's the determining factor in whether or not your topic is specific enough for 4000 words.

• Like 2

I think attributing the Soviet policies of '45 - '55 as any "causes of the Cold War" is irrelevant unless one of your arguments is going to be saying the Cold War started after 1945 (which would be a pretty new one..). So ideally, you'll just be looking at these policies by ways of fuelling the Cold War. But how would you phrase your research question? That's the determining factor in whether or not your topic is specific enough for 4000 words.

Hey, I wasn't quite sure what you meant by it would only work if I said the cold war started after 1945, considering it started in 1945? My question would have been along the lines of "to what extent were the Soviet policies of the 1940's a direct cause for the outbreak of the Cold War between 1945 and 1955?

There are a number of different approaches and arguments that discuss when the Cold War started. While the generally accepted view is that it began in 1945 at the end of WWII, many historians argue that it began in 1917 during the Bolshevik Revolution when the USA took the Whites side. 

Also - your question implies that the outbreak of the Cold War was continuous throughout 10 years. I don't know whether or not you meant to do that but you must address that during the writing of your essay.

• Like 1

Hey, I wasn't quite sure what you meant by it would only work if I said the cold war started after 1945, considering it started in 1945? My question would have been along the lines of "to what extent were the Soviet policies of the 1940's a direct cause for the outbreak of the Cold War between 1945 and 1955?

There are a number of different approaches and arguments that discuss when the Cold War started. While the generally accepted view is that it began in 1945 at the end of WWII, many historians argue that it began in 1917 during the Bolshevik Revolution when the USA took the Whites side.

Also - your question implies that the outbreak of the Cold War was continuous throughout 10 years. I don't know whether or not you meant to do that but you must address that during the writing of your essay.

Hey, sorry to bug you yet again. So now I'm wondering if it would be best to avoid all this conflict and just say "how if fuelled the Cold War?" My other option would be to forget this whole topic, but I'm actually quite interested in it.

Yes! I think that targeting the advancement of the Cold War rather than the development of it would lead to a much stronger essay!

• Like 1