helping me choose...

talalrulez

let me just say it quick and straight to the point. i've been given 2 choices;

HL English+ SL Chemistry (current) 

or

HL Business+ SL English

i'd like your opinion on which one i should choose. its not like im scared of the subjects, but im a whole lot more wary of HL English than i am of Business and SL English is easier than SL Chemistry so its an added bonus. however, my dream for my future is to become a doctor, and i know how much chemistry is needed. on the other hand, im still doing HL Biology, and i can cover on topics to do with chemistry easily with a bridging course. (btw, im not sure if every country is like this but the australian system is so loose than you can study arts in yr11+12 and cover and if you make the marks in your final exam, you can choose a proffesion such as doctor, but youll need to complete a bridging course before that.)

please comment and tell me what you think i should do. 

If you are going to a take a bridging course anyways, why don't you just take SL Chemistry? HL Business will not help you become a doctor.

yh but my school wont allow me to take chemistry without HL English which is what i want to avoid. i can just take a bridging course for chemistry when i choose medicine however...

yh but my school wont allow me to take chemistry without HL English which is what i want to avoid. i can just take a bridging course for chemistry when i choose medicine however...

Business/English is definitely easier. I still recommend English/Chemistry though for a solid understanding of the fundamentals. Business/English dramatically reduces your chances of going to a foreign university. 

Business/English is definitely easier. I still recommend English/Chemistry though for a solid understanding of the fundamentals. Business/English dramatically reduces your chances of going to a foreign university. 

how will it reduce my chances of going foreign. either way, im happy to just live in australia rest of my life as an orthapedic surgeon with an easy income of 314 grand.

srry bro

One benefit of doing chemistry is that you don't waste your time and energy doing the bridging course. Also, if you choose the option biochemistry, as a chem SL student you barely have to study for the option paper since you've covered most of it in HL bio.

Chem would also look more impressive in your college application since it is in line with your career choice. I don't see any benefit of you taking business other than that it's easier. But this depends also depends on you as an individual- some science-oriented students (like me) would find business papers harder to write than chemistry. 

It also depends on your teachers: which one do you feel is better, business or chemistry?

If I were you, I'd definitely go with chemistry. But at the end of the day, go with what you're more confident and comfortable in. Best of luck!

One benefit of doing chemistry is that you don't waste your time and energy doing the bridging course. Also, if you choose the option biochemistry, as a chem SL student you barely have to study for the option paper since you've covered most of it in HL bio.

Chem would also look more impressive in your college application since it is in line with your career choice. I don't see any benefit of you taking business other than that it's easier. But this depends also depends on you as an individual- some science-oriented students (like me) would find business papers harder to write than chemistry. 

It also depends on your teachers: which one do you feel is better, business or chemistry?

If I were you, I'd definitely go with chemistry. But at the end of the day, go with what you're more confident and comfortable in. Best of luck!

Thank you very much. although i understand your opinion, you must know that for me chemistry is not the problem. its HL English. I've got good sets of skills in the humanaties as well as the sciences, although i love the sciences a lot more. my english is a problem for me and that's what influenced me to switch to HL Business+SL English instead of HL ENGLISH +SL Chemistry.

yeah, you're right. since i'm considering studying medicine, chemistry would look a lot better in my record, but the way i'm thinking is, at least have a slightly less better record, rather than not being able to show them my record at all. i hope you understand where im going to. trust me, i had this talk with my principal, my chemistry teacher, my coordinator, the IB coordinator as well as my business teacher. they all wanted to make sure i was sure in what i was doing but i'm okay. business is easier and has a lower score ranking than english. ie:72=7 in business        80=7 in english.

Thank you very much. although i understand your opinion, you must know that for me chemistry is not the problem. its HL English. I've got good sets of skills in the humanaties as well as the sciences, although i love the sciences a lot more. my english is a problem for me and that's what influenced me to switch to HL Business+SL English instead of HL ENGLISH +SL Chemistry.

yeah, you're right. since i'm considering studying medicine, chemistry would look a lot better in my record, but the way i'm thinking is, at least have a slightly less better record, rather than not being able to show them my record at all. i hope you understand where im going to. trust me, i had this talk with my principal, my chemistry teacher, my coordinator, the IB coordinator as well as my business teacher. they all wanted to make sure i was sure in what i was doing but i'm okay. business is easier and has a lower score ranking than english. ie:72=7 in business        80=7 in english.

You seem to have made your decision already, then why are you even asking us? o.O Anyone that suggests you take Chemistry (which is, obviously, a more natural choice for medicine), you come at them saying that you don't want to do English HL. You seem to be happy with your decision, just trying to justify it to us. You really don't need to. Just go and do Business HL. 

• Like 1

You seem to have made your decision already, then why are you even asking us? o.O Anyone that suggests you take Chemistry (which is, obviously, a more natural choice for medicine), you come at them saying that you don't want to do English HL. You seem to be happy with your decision, just trying to justify it to us. You really don't need to. Just go and do Business HL. 

yh but i wanted to confirm on ibsurvival plus i searched up the universities website. i was trying to point out what advantages there could be, but if i really want to study medicine, the best thing is to take chemistry and try my best for hl english. was waiting for one comment like that. so, i was kinda doing a 'in my mind' debate with myself and the other guys here on ibsurvival.