Extended Essay concerns

Littlelostattimes

Hey there,

I have quite nervous about my Extended Essay. I'm doing it under Biology.

First, I don't have a due date set by my supervisor and the fact that my old biology teacher who was reliable and kind, ran away because of the bad principal. He got replaced by a teacher who retired for 20 years from A-levels and he doesn't give a thing about teaching us in Biology now. Like the whole class is quiet and he asks us to read from the textbooks. So there's not much help with Bio EE from him.

Second, I'm in dilemma with the research ideas.

I did a lab studying about different heart structures of different animals but the thing is I was told by my IB friends from other countries that there was heavy ethical issues with the IBO about carrying out labs with animals. I know it's gross but I was curious why people transferred animal valve tissues into human hearts. I had a MVR heart surgery tbh so it got me really curious. Will I be able to do my EE on this or would I have to change it?

Third, I hope you guys could share your viewpoint on this. I haven't wrote my EE yet because I just had the materials and did the lab. I have another topic for my Bio IA which is studying the effect of plant growth using different pH. If that is more interesting and stable, I could switch it to my EE and change my EE topic to my IA.

Fourth, if you have any experience dealing with ethical issues, could you tell me what can I do to address this in my EE? I hope u guys would help out....

Please and thank you.

Addressing your first point of concern: I believe that all documents must be submitted to IBO by 1 April (someone back me up please). Your best bet is to talk to your IB coordinator about school specific deadlines. (For example, the EEs at my school were due in November.)

I see no problem with switching IA an EE topics as long as they still meet the requirements for each.

Hopefully someone with stronger bio knowledge can come by and answer your concerns more throughly.

Addressing your first point of concern: I believe that all documents must be submitted to IBO by 1 April (someone back me up please). Your best bet is to talk to your IB coordinator about school specific deadlines. (For example, the EEs at my school were due in November.)

I see no problem with switching IA an EE topics as long as they still meet the requirements for each.

Hopefully someone with stronger bio knowledge can come by and answer your concerns more throughly.

Thanks for replying. At least hearing that there's still time to meet up with my supervisor and talk about it really helped out. Hopefully the due date wouldn't be before the mid of March. Thanks again Edited by Littlelostattimes