Math IA (HL) topic The great pyramid

Moma

Hello,

Unfortunately I found out that the topic I chose to do the math (HL) exploration in, didn't work, therefore I started a new one.

It's about the the great pyramid. A lot of historians assume that the built of the great pyramid took only 20 years. I don't really believe that. So actually in my exploration I'm trying to prove that it was possible to build such a masterpiece in 20 years  If I'm able to prove that, then it might really taken 20 years. But if my calculations reach 100 years for example, then I would have disproven the assumption.

My problem is I want to include difficult math in my exploration, but I don't really know, which topics I may include...

Do you have any ideas? comments?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Did you found a way to finish your IA? When is your final draft? My initial topic was Egyptian Fractions but after some brainstorming and looking through some sources I found out that I could not have enough mathematics equations to prove my point on the changes that occurred during the time in math. So I changed to Egyptian Mathematics. Sadly, I have the same problems with this topic too. My teacher is not offering too much help so I am looking into other topics. I don`t wanna go to far from the previous topic since I already have most of my sources so I was thinking about using them in order to write about the Golden Ratio in the Great Pyramid of Giza. 

To answer your post: Are you trying to prove what the historians said about only taking 20 years? How do you prove that if you do not think that it took that long? Try to prove that the historians are wrong through your exploration. If you get 20 years with your calculations then keep in mind that in IA`s you do not need to end up approving with your Research Question. 

Subjects: 

Mathematics HL

English A HL

Biology HL

History SL

Chemistry SL

Self taught SL

Edited by Cristina Linculescu
  • Like 1

Did you found a way to finish your IA? When is your final draft? My initial topic was Egyptian Fractions but after some brainstorming and looking through some sources I found out that I could not have enough mathematics equations to prove my point on the changes that occurred during the time in math. So I changed to Egyptian Mathematics. Sadly, I have the same problems with this topic too. My teacher is not offering too much help so I am looking into other topics. I don`t wanna go to far from the previous topic since I already have most of my sources so I was thinking about using them in order to write about the Golden Ratio in the Great Pyramid of Giza. 

To answer your post: Are you trying to prove what the historians said about only taking 20 years? How do you prove that if you do not think that it took that long? Try to prove that the historians are wrong through your exploration. If you get 20 years with your calculations then keep in mind that in IA`s you do not need to end up approving with your Research Question. 

Subjects: 

Mathematics HL

English A HL

Biology HL

History SL

Chemistry SL

Self taught SL

First I also thought about writing my exploration about the mathematics in the great pyramid... because there isn't just the golden ratio, after some simple calculations you realize that "pi" as well as the speed of light are present. The problem about the speed of light is, that it is in "meters", whereas the meter was just defined about 200 years ago... But this is just regarding your topic....

I'm trying to prove that it only took 20 years... There are some theories about how the pyramids were built... I chose one theory and explained, why I took it. Furthermore it's known that most of the stone blocks came from South Egypt near Assuan... Therefore the egyptians used a tactic to tie wood around the stone blocks to transport them with the Nile to the Great pyramid.

But every step I engage in the topic, the more things I must consider to get a significant result... Like the blocks had to be cut and "smoothen", so they would all look the same, and this required time as well... but it's difficult to assume a time for that step... 

I feel like, that my conclusion wouldn't give me a clear answer, unless some of the calculations, which I will have already done, will give me more than 20 years, so it won't be essential to include many more steps, which occured as well...

And if you have any questions regarding your topic, feel free to ask, because I already engaged a little bit in that direction:D

• 4 years later...
On 3/6/2016 at 11:53 PM, Moma said:

First I also thought about writing my exploration about the mathematics in the great pyramid... because there isn't just the golden ratio, after some simple calculations you realize that "pi" as well as the speed of light are present. The problem about the speed of light is, that it is in "meters", whereas the meter was just defined about 200 years ago... But this is just regarding your topic....

I'm trying to prove that it only took 20 years... There are some theories about how the pyramids were built... I chose one theory and explained, why I took it. Furthermore it's known that most of the stone blocks came from South Egypt near Assuan... Therefore the egyptians used a tactic to tie wood around the stone blocks to transport them with the Nile to the Great pyramid.

But every step I engage in the topic, the more things I must consider to get a significant result... Like the blocks had to be cut and "smoothen", so they would all look the same, and this required time as well... but it's difficult to assume a time for that step... 

I feel like, that my conclusion wouldn't give me a clear answer, unless some of the calculations, which I will have already done, will give me more than 20 years, so it won't be essential to include many more steps, which occured as well...

And if you have any questions regarding your topic, feel free to ask, because I already engaged a little bit in that direction:D

Hello!

I was looking into topics about structures and monuments and came across this. It seems very interesting, and I was wondering what kind of math you had used for this specific topic, and in what way?

On 3/6/2016 at 11:53 PM, Moma said: