herbs

Hey there!! I'm in pre-Ib now. Need to choose subjects for IB. I'll say directly, I'm pretty good at Math, but I need to decide if I take Math SL or Math on Studies. The problem is that I'm also taking Chemistry HL and English A SL(and I'm not a native English speaker) So I'm afraid that it would be too hard. And also I don't really need math in the future. I wan to go for a jurist or marketing manager. They don't need math on SL, to take you to the university for above said courses, right? Looking forward your advices :)

When it comes to the IB, you have to choose your subjects strategic. If you don't need Mathematics, studies might be the best option as it will save you  A LOT of time. 

Yet, if you do choose to take mathematics, you could consider going down to English B instead of A, as that will also save you some time. It is all about finding a balance.

However, I would recommend you to start with mathematics, and if it's too hard/too much work, switch. :-)

Good luck in the IB.

I'm not sure about your course in particular but I know that there are a lot of universities which do prefer Math SL over Studies anyday. As you said that you are good at Math, then I would recommend that you begin with Math SL. It is not that much of work, and so until you want to completely ignore one subject I feel that you should take SL. Once, you start if you feel that SL is a lot of work then you can easily shift to studies, and it won't take you much work to cover up also!

Best of Luck!

• Like 2

Hey there!! I'm in pre-Ib now. Need to choose subjects for IB. I'll say directly, I'm pretty good at Math, but I need to decide if I take Math SL or Math on Studies. The problem is that I'm also taking Chemistry HL and English A SL(and I'm not a native English speaker) So I'm afraid that it would be too hard. And also I don't really need math in the future. I wan to go for a jurist or marketing manager. They don't need math on SL, to take you to the university for above said courses, right? Looking forward your advices :)

Regarding university requirements, it largely depends on where the universities are located. For example, for the US, I know that all business majors (so that includes marketing) tend to have to take a maths course or too so you'd be putting yourself at a disadvantage by taking maths studies (maybe not admissions wise but in terms of finding the required uni maths classes difficult because maths studies didn't prepare you for them). 

Just to be sure, check the websites of the unis you're interested, if maths isn't a requirement for the course(s) you're interested in then perhaps take maths studies. There is quite a difference in difficulty between maths studies and maths SL and so as you said, you'd be making things easier for yourself workload wise by taking maths studies. 

• Like 1

Newcastle University, for example, for Marketing BSc wants "International Baccalaureate 35 points. Standard Level Mathematics or Mathematical Studies required at grade 5 if not offered at Higher Level." http://www.ncl.ac.uk/documents/ugp-brochure/n500.pdf

Clearly they do want HL. I believe a student who's good at math can get a 5 in SL. HL is a significant jump but certainly not all HL students are genious in math.