Daksh

Hey guys

So Im in IB Yr 1 and we finished micro. We had a test on theory of firms (P1 and P3 format) and in that a got a 3. So my teacher said took a retest today, and that went bad too. I dont have the results yet but dont expect more than a 4.
So what should I do?

Should I take Math HL (My teacher says I'm capable, but then it'll be a lot of catching up) and Eco SL or Psych HL and drop eco entirely? (again a lot of catching up)

But I feel more inclined towards Psych

Pls give inputs thanks I hate IB

I responded to a similar topic here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/35407-psychology-vs-economics/

I'll add on to that response, I'd recommend you stick w/economics. Theory of the firm really isn't all that tricky - in fact I feel that it is one of the easier paper 1 part B questions in terms of evaluation (which you need to do to get a 6 or 7), it's just about comparing and contrasting different market structures (this is very straight forward and is written out in the textbook) and evaluating different policies to control monopolies/oligopolies, etc. But I will agree w/you that the P3 theory of the firm questions are on the trickier side. I'd recommend you just schedule after school meetings with your teacher so he/she can help you with the things you're struggling with - be proactive about the situation, get help, don't just drop the subject because you struggled with just one section of the syllabus (I know that's blunt but it needs to be said). This would be the wiser thing to do IMO. Switching to psychology this late isn't a sensible idea. And switching to maths HL and dropping to econ SL - no, just no. You'd be putting yourself in a bad situation. Maths HL has the reputation (and it is well deserved) of being one of the hardest, if not the hardest, IB subjects - it requires a lot of dedication, time and practice and so it's one of the those subjects you should take if you need it for uni and/or really LOVE maths. 

So, stick with economics. :) 

• Like 1

You have, basically, two options:

• Study harder for Econ; get a tutor, form a study group, study an hour every day, whatever you need to get your grade up to where you need it to be. Not sure what your aim is, but a 4 may not be the worst thing (my math predicted is 4 and I got an offer from a very good school, because math really doesn't matter in my area of interest)
  • If your teacher is holding you back extensively, you really can't stand the subject and can't seem to concentrate enough to actually study for it, or you feel that you are really interested in Psychology/Math, do the swap. I changed one subject from SL to HL after IB1 and I'm doing way better in it than I ever did in Bio, which was my HL before. If you opt for this, go and talk to Psych/Math teachers and ask them, specifically, what you would have to catch up on, and if you can do it by yourself. No point in changing to another subject you'll get stuck in the same way you're stuck in Econ now.

• 11 months later...