IB Course selection

Needmorspeed

Hello fellow IB comrades, I am in grade 10 Pre-IB and i chose the following subjects, i was wondering if these are good choices or not. First of all i am NOT planning on going to anything related to medical. Probably engineering or something of that sort. anyways, these are my picks:

1)English HL

2)Math SL

3)Physics HL
4)Biology HL

5)ITGS

6)Spanish

(Elective)-Canadian History

I don't know if i made the right decision by not taking Chemistry HL..

Any thoughts or comments regarding my subjects is appreciated.

thanks.

Do you have background in Chemistry? If not, it will undoubtedly be a very challenging subject. If you're interested in going for engineering, you really don't need HL Chemistry unless you're going into petroleum/chemical engineering in specific. Chemistry will be more helpful than Biology in Engineering though, but it's not necessary.

However, if you're interested in engineering, especially in Europe, Math HL is almost mandatory, and will help you a long way with HL Physics so I'd recommend that if it's possible for you to take it.

• Like 1

First off all if you're not going into anything medical-related, I would definitely switch out the Biology. I've heard it's a ton of memorization and since it's not helping you in the future, it'll drain your motivation and energy for it unless you're super interested in it.

For engineering at Canadian universities, you must have chemistry in addition to other pre-requisites: English, math, physics. This means that if you do want to apply for engineering, you have to do chemistry in the summer. But since biology is not even close to what you want to do, I'd switch it out for Chem HL.

On another note for specifically engineering, I would recommend Math HL instead of SL just because of how much more it will cover and that you will be more prepared in university.

Hope this helps!