If you attended either The University of Nottingham or The University of Edinburgh, I need some advice please!

Will

So yeah,

I live way out in the Caribbean, and won't have a chance to visit any of the universities I've applied to before I make my decision, hence I'm coming to you guys.

My two most preferred choices are The University of Nottingham and The University of Edinburgh, so if you attended one of those, I'd really appreciate your thoughts on that Uni.

I'm going to study Electrical Engineering, but even if you did something totally different, still give me the lowdown on your experience. 

Even if you didn't go to either of these Uni's, give me your opinions on them, let me know what you think, and what my best option would be for what I'm studying. Again, I live way out in the middle of nowhere (I attend the smallest IB school in the entire world), so anything helps! 

Also real quick: I've sent all my applications, with entry date as 2017. Do I still have to send in my responses with the same deadline as 2016 candidates? 

Thanks a tonne, I appreciate the help. 

Edit: Also... Edinburgh requires 4 years for a BEng, and 5 for an MEng... Anyone know why Edinburgh requires that extra year?

Edited by Will

If you're applying for autumn 2017 entry, you should apply before 15 January 2017, and earliest in September 2016, I think.

EDIT: Wait, you've sent your application already? Did you send it before or after Jan 15 this year? If later, you won't be considered equally with other applicants even if you're applying for deferred entry -- if you applied for deferred entry (i.e. 2017 entry), and you get offers, and you'll fulfill the conditions of your offer, you have a place in the university.)

I didn't apply to either of these unis, but some things to always consider: course content for your subject; place in league tables for your school and your subject (here); cost of studying; cost of living; entry requirements (if you're a May 2016 candidate, you'll be able to apply with your actual results, not predicteds); whether you like the size, climate, atmosphere of the place; student satisfaction (UniStats is a good place for this). You can always check The Student Room for your chosen universities, too. Good luck!

Edited by ellie

Yes, I've already sent my applications. I applied for autumn 2017 entry, and sent them off before the Jan 15th deadline this year via UCAS.

There was an option when filling out the UCAS course choices for 2016 or 2017 entry, and as I'm taking a gap year, I'm down for 2017 entry. 

I've already gotten offers from Edinburgh and Manchester, and I'm predicted to make the marks. On Utrack the offers all say Sept 2017, so yeah. I'm not sure whether I have to send my replies to the Uni's by the same deadline as this years 2016 applicants or whether I get until next year to accept. 

Cheers for the links, those are super useful. Thanks for the help.