URGENT: Feedback for my WT2 IDEA?

Echowave

Hi.

My written task is due tomorrow and here (final) is a brief outline of my ideas so far (I need to write this by tonight):

Outline:

Prescribed Question: Which social groups are marginalized, excluded or silenced within the text?

Title: To what extent does society restrict women from their individual freedom in “A Doll’s House�

Relation to the course: Part 3 - Literature - Texts and Contexts

Key points:

• To explore the problems raised by the 19th Century Victorian Era particularly the influence of the patriarchal society which had created a stereotype for men to use upon women limiting their freedom to be their own individual

• To explore the viewpoint from a 19th century individual, a feminist

• How Ibsen's beliefs are presented in an indirect manner, in a form of a play to present and address the problem of gender inequality

I've also listed some main points here:

Introduction:

Main points of “A doll’s houseâ€:

• Expose and urge viewers/readers to consider the problems of the 19th century victorian era

• Share and convince viewers/readers regarding Ibsen’s philosophy that men and women should be equal individuals capable of living amongst themselves

• Organized into 3 acts which build up into a climax which becomes a tragedy as Nora leaves Torvald on a pursuit to find herself (the search for her own individual freedom and individual female identity)

• Purpose to portray the flaws of the patriarchal society an indirect criticism of the victorian era and the ideas associated within the society

• Yes it does, as ultimately Nora walks out on Torvald, despite being a mother, she abandons her household, her children and her “expected†role in pursuit of finding herself.

• To an extent this is achieved fully as the climax is strong, tragic and a powerful statement/symbol for women, Nora risks her family to find herself despite Torvald’s pleas stating that her “sacred†duties are to serve within the household

• The purpose is controversial and is an issue which still exists in the present day

• The evidence is strong as the play is built up of Nora gradually finding herself, stepping against society

• Ibsen deliberately keeps the dialogue indirect and subtle to allow the audience to further understand his beliefs and morals, from a third person perspective the audience are not entitled to the play but will be able to better grasp and understand the problems of society applying the problems raised from the play to their own household/lifestyle as the play targets the audience of the 19th century.

• The organization of the acts are important as they ultimately build to the climax also allowing the audience to explore the character change and development of Nora

• From the perspective of a male: Power and dominance is important as it shows their social class allowing themselves to be placed on-top of others on the social hierarchy chain

Any advice feedback? Does anyone think this will work? Because I feel like it will legit fail lol.

I think that your idea is good. I would change the wording in your title slightly. Instead of using the word 'restrict', try replacing it with one of the words from the prescribed question. Ex. Silence or exclude.

You need to really define which social group you are focusing on. This is something that my teacher has said to our class many times. You can't really say that 'women' are a social class. However, you can say that upper-class women are a social class. This is especially prevalent in 'A Doll's House' because we see how Nora is controlled by the expectations of society and her own domestic responsibilities.

'To what extent does society _______ upper-class women from their individual freedom in “A Doll’s House�'

I love your main points. I would just suggest to try to form an essay plan with two or three 'umbrella' themes that you can fit your main points under. This will help organise your essay a bit and make your argument coherent. 

Also, try to find other examples of upper-class women and how they are excluded/silenced/marginalised. It's been a while since I read the book, but I think that one of Nora's friends visits her? You could maybe use her friend as an example to support your argument.

Overall, I really like your plan. If you clearly define a social group and include varied examples you should do just fine. Good luck!

Edited by eternallyapril
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your feedback, it's good to be recieving feedback which lets me know that I'm on the right track despite rushing this to submit as a final for tomorrow...

Using your suggestion as an inspiration I've decided to use the title:

'To what extent does society obviate upper-class women from their individual freedom in “A Doll’s House�'

In addition, I think you've made a good point about Mrs. Linde too, I haven't reallt thought about that but I believe thats a good idea, she's in town trying to find a job and she is allowed to work due to being widowed, perhaps I could include her to back up my arguments too..

Also, do you think these umbrella terms would just about sum up my argument?

Feminist theory

Patriarchy

Psychoanalytic

In addition, I believe I could discuss about Torvald falling into the victim of stereotypical ideals so I might even alter the topic too something like restrictions for both men and women of the social class

Edited by Echowave