Does tutoring classmates count as service?

mecamylamine

My coordinator says it's fine as long as there's a supervisor, like a parent or instructor.

Do parents count? I would have thought no as they are related to you and so would benefit from you receiving your diploma, but apparently some friends are allowed one activity with parent supervisors. Maybe it's just the case of differing CAS Coordinators. -_-

Again, depends on your coordinator. Mine would accept it as long as a) it's 30 mins or more and b) you are supervised.

It's the whole block and the teacher's there the whole time. While he's teaching, i go into the corner with some student and help him learn some fractions (lol)

The only problem is with my IB coordinator. He is "awesome" aka strict as heck.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As long as you have a supervisor that's not a relative (preferably a teacher) and you are doing it for non-profit, then it sure does count for the IB.

In our school, teachers come looking for older students who can help younger students if they have problems in their homework. Maybe you can ask your teachers as well if they have younger students as well who you might be able to tutor.

I tutored a year 9 student this year and the lady at my school who deals with our CAS stuff said it could have been done for hours but I already had service, so I got paid. If you're looking for a supervisor, maybe tutor in the library and ask one of the librarians to watch over you now and then so they can sign the form for you. It is considered service because you are helping another person: serving them. Some schools just like you to do service which benefits a big group of people, so they may not let it count, but as far as the IBO is concerned it should be ok, it is at my school anyway.

• 2 months later...

one of the kids in my IB year is learning Guitar from a friend, and my IB Coordinator said that it's fine as long as she writes her reflections, fills in the paperwork and makes sure that at the least a responsible adult sees them start and finish the lessons.

Tutoring classmates do count as service, as long as there's an advisor to sign off on it. At our school, we have a peer tutoring program, so tutoring is easily converted into CAS hours. If you don't have this, you could always talk to your co-ordinator/CAS supervisor- they could always sign off on the activity.