IB in my school

IBdamned234

Well, I am a 17 year old Ecuadorian student, and I have chosen to get the IB that my school offers. I have 3 HL subjects and 3 SL subjects.

My examinations are on may and , honestly, I feel nothing comfortable with that thought as I know that I am NOT prepared for the exams and I'm sure I won't be in the one month that remains.

Through this last year, I have come to realize that in my school, the IB is very poorly managed, the teachers are not qualified for teaching this kind of subjects and the administration in this school is very poor as well.Teachers are mediocre, and the IB syllabus is in conflict with the local syllabus that the my country's government compels on every school. Putting this a soft way is to say that the school makes very difficult to get the IB and further complicates the graduation of every student.

Therefore, I have came to realize that when I graduate ( if i do) I must do something about this, I don't know, something like a formal complaint to the IBO and the school so the "permission" that this school haves to teach the IB is in some way "revoked" so the school cannot further complicate the lives of the students below from me. My brother just started the MYP programme and I think that he doesn't deserves to put up with the things that I have with this school. Even if I can't do anything about it, it would be nice that the students below me know what they're getting into if they chose to get the IB in my school.

Therefore, if there is any kind of information of how schools get the "permission" from the IBO to give this kind of education, I would really appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows some case that the IB has been "taken" from a school, it would be really helpful for me to know.

Thank you for your help

PD: I am NOT in any way attacking the IB, I'm just trying to do something about this bad quality education that we get at my school.

• Like 1

My opinion: I have been to such school but luckily I had other schools nearby that I could transfer to, and i did. I may hurt your feelings here by saying that what you are taught at school, specially in IB, only contributes to 20% of your overall learning. If you think that your teachers are incompetent enough then you need to study more at home. Your brain is finding a reason to put the blame on teachers for you to get away with bad grades but it's up to you and you only. I wish you all the best with your courses. We can help you with your assignments as much as we can but you just got to spend more time studying on your own. There's a saying which says that "not everyone is born with a golden spoon in their mouth" which kind of applies here as you have tough luck having bad teachers but you have to over that up by studying more on your own. 

I can understand you. I have the same problem right now... I have good grades at school (6-7), but I still think that the teachers are bad... we still didn't finish the curriculum neither in Math nor in Physics ( and I have them on HL!). We still have to do the whole chapter of probability + the option... and there are just 2 months left for the exam... in physics we still have to do chapter 8 and 11... And we are now finishing the assignments at the last second, since the teachers never put effort on telling us, WHAT exactly the assignments should look like and never showed us examples or anything... In some subjects like biology, German and history we already finished the IA's several months ago...

But since I have a teacher in Math and Physics, which is not qualified in my opinion, we are so stressed right now... We even did have a change of the coordinator during the christmas vacation...

But yeah, you are stuck now, but now it's too late to blame anyone for things they did/did not do... You should work on your own now like me... If you can afford it, then take private lessons... revise your notes and solve as much as you can from the past papers... look for tips on youtube or any website from other IB students, which give a lot of useful advices... But never give up or think that you won't pass....

Another tip is to study the syllabus... Because if you know what the IB really wants, you will automatically get a good mark and you won't waste much time on learning things, which you won't need for the final exams:D