Physics IA Title - Unsure

MikhailI

Greetings fellow IB (ex)students!

I have written my Physics IA under the title "Investigating the Relationship between the Type of Material and the Coefficient of Static Friction". In my lab , I have used 6 blocks of different materials and put them on a wooden ramp. I then tilted the ramp until the block would start to slide, hence recording the angle of inclination and finding out the coefficient of the block's static friction by a derived formula. I conclude stating which one of the tested materials has the highest coefficient of static friction and that there is a direct relationship between material and friction.

Is this a valid IA topic or too simple?

Thanks in advance!

I am doing Physics HL, and to be honest, I think its way too simple. This is the kind of prescribed practical a year 1 student does when doing core Mechanics. Perhaps you could explore a little further into Thermal Physics. That's one topic with a lot of scope for research. 

Thank you for your feedback. I have changed my investigation to "Investigating the Relationship between the Mass and the Coefficient of Static Friction". I have used 6 iron blocks of different mass and put them on the wooden ramp. After my lab, I concluded that mass has no effect on the coefficient of friction since the metal blocks would slide at the same independent of their mass.

What do you think of the title now?

• 4 years later...
On 2/25/2016 at 10:22 PM, MikhailI said:

Thank you for your feedback. I have changed my investigation to "Investigating the Relationship between the Mass and the Coefficient of Static Friction". I have used 6 iron blocks of different mass and put them on the wooden ramp. After my lab, I concluded that mass has no effect on the coefficient of friction since the metal blocks would slide at the same independent of their mass.

What do you think of the title now?

it is still too simple, you have to try and find a correlation between the variables ideally.