Do you think we need different cultures in our society? Why?

I think it might be interesting to discuss multiculturalism/ discrimination against foreigners. Many friends of mine always say foreigners have been stealing jobs from the locals, or burdening the society as a whole. But do you think it is important to have foreigners in our society as well? And why?

I think it might be interesting to discuss multiculturalism/ discrimination against foreigners. Many friends of mine always say foreigners have been stealing jobs from the locals, or burdening the society as a whole. But do you think it is important to have foreigners in our society as well? And why?

That's an interesting topic yet very hard to justify your opinion. I would just say that multiculturalism isn't just useful for a nation but also healthy. Yes it brings pain for the locals but brings much more prosperity for the nation as a whole, in terms of skills, workforce and i can't think of anything else on top of my head. I'd like to see others' opinions and i'll edit this as I come up with more points.

Frankly speaking, yes you do need foreigners in countries. Since I'm assuming your friends are in Germany....

Germany currently has a negative growth rate if you take only locals into account. Germany's population was expected to shrink by 12-17 million people within the next 50 years. But this was fixed when Germany started to let refugees in. Today, Germany has 20% of their population over 65 but in a few decades (when we will retired or close to) every third person will be over 65 and about 14% will be over the age of 80. If this does happen and foreigners are not allowed to change this, there will a great demand of jobs that can't be filled and the quality of life for the youth will be drastically affected as they'll be under pressure to keep up the infrastructure to support the aging economy.

I can understand people complaining about outsourcing jobs but foreigners are taking jobs away from the locals?.Aren't employers supposed to hire the best person for the job? Also, in Canada, usually immigrants take the job local Canadians don't want. That's a pretty sorry excuse if you think you should get a job just because you were born there.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have another question: does it matter if it's needed?

The fact is, people of all sorts of cultures exist. Whether it's necessary or not is entirely irrelevant.

If it was not, what would we do about it? Create one single culture? Who would decide what would be included in it and what would be excluded from it?

What do you mean when you say culture? Plenty of cultures completely unrelated to ethnicity exist. Technically, any group of people talking together could form their own culture or sub-culture. Example: inside jokes. Would you abolish these as well, if they were not needed?

If you mean just ethnic cultures, as I think you do because you said foreigners, where would you draw the lines between categories (if they were not needed)?

If someone with parents from Country A lived in Country B all their life, would they be a foreigner in Country A or in Country B?

We have some of the best aspects of our societies because of healthy cultural exchange. We got the internet because of the US military, for instance.

My hometown, Skopje, is an excellent example of cultures working together. In 1963, we had a catastrophic earthquake the international community helped us recover from. Kenzo Tange (Japanese) gave Skopje (Macedonian) some of our most interesting buildings. I lived on a street built by Russians (I could tell because it was named Lenin Street lol). The US sent tents and pre-made houses. We have a street called Mexican Street (as in, made by Mexico) because they helped us rebuild. Without all of these foreigners helping, my city would still be suffering.

I should note though, that the Balkans aren't a good example of international cooperation lmao.

Edited by swampy

• 4 weeks later...

Having a bunch of different cultures is amazing! :D its super fun cause then there's a bunch of tasty food you get to try, so why not? Now that being said,  I feel like if foreigners have decided to move into a country, they should not force the host country to accommodate them. Thats quite rude of course. But other than that, people learn a bunch by sharing knowledge from different cultures. So I really see no harm in most cases.