Am I allowed to run a virtual simulation for my physics IA?

Scorpiocentauri

So basically the criteria for the internal assessment topics seemed so ludicrous that I put them off until the last minute because because I simply could not think of an adequate topic. I must start and finish an entire physics IA and a chemistry IA(both SL) by Monday, and I would prefer to use a virtual simulation(using algodoo) to run a basic experiment just so I can get some points. If I get at least some points on the IA, I should be able to secure a passing grade since I am confident I will get 6s and 7s on each paper for exams, and I will happily settle for passing.

Also, I would like some clarification on the subject of IA topics. Are we supposed to basically explore something that has literally never been done before? Are we supposed to discover some grand new insight on a topic that no one else has? Are our hypotheses allowed to be wrong? What happens if we zone in on a topic without knowledge of its outcome, only to discover that the experiment was completely pointless and the answer can be obtained very easily theoretically? How simple or complex are these topics meant to be? In regard to science, are we supposed to take knowledge we learn in class and apply it to something that seems unrelated to classroom material? Are we supposed to explore levels of the subject beyond what is taught in class? What if the exact topic I think of has been done in the past?

I had always felt that selecting an adequate topic held the most weight of the process of actually carrying out the IA, and my inability to select one by IB standards has left me in this dilemma.

My science teachers have been unable to properly answer these questions. I constantly receive vague answers which leads me to believe that even they are not entirely sure what the International Brainwashing organization wants. I am not looking to make a high-quality experiment by logical standards, just one by the criteria of IB.

I have absolutely no problem learning the class material and achieving the highest score on every test in each subject for the past couple years, but these internal assessments are simply beyond me. My teachers are in fear of me not obtaining my IB diploma because of my internal assessments, and I am just looking to pass IB so I can leave this hellhole and actually remember how to smile again.

Yes, but it is usually not preferred by moderators as there is hardly any scope of addressing uncertainties etc. If you think about it, simulations are merely confirmations of pre-existing coded mathematical relationships based n experiments already conducted. So everything there is already done. You are allowed to, but try to make it as distinguishable as possible. Perhaps this link would help:  http://vle.nlcsjeju....t checklist.pdf

To answer the question about whether we are supposed to explore something that has never been done before, no, that's a common misconception. What is required is for you to pick something quite common and explore it from a different angle. Take any concept and list out the variables in it, pick two at random that are seemingly not related to each other and try to hypothesise why they would be. One of the easiest ways would be to perform experiments to confirm something using a different method. For instance, you can confirm the exponential decay of the height of rebound of a bouncing ball by using a sound detector and calculating height for each bounce using equations of motion (I found this IA online). Although the hypothesis is based on something that is already confirmed, a different method has been used. Just remember to stick to the criteria after choosing a topic simple yet interesting. If you are choosing to go with simulations, I'd suggest something to do with Mechanics or Thermal physics in Physics and Equilibrium or Molecular bonds etc in Chemistry. Good luck