Should I continue IB?

mads

Hello!! 

I need help. I am in 10th grade in Canada and I have submitted an application for the IB diploma program at my school. I have been doing IB since the 7th grade and I do not know if I want to proceed in this program. The majority of my friends dropped out in the 8th grade, right before the middle years program and the rest of them are dropping out before the diploma program. My parents are supporting what I end up deciding although my dad is really pushing me for this program.

I have heard many pros an cons, and I do not know what to choose mainly because of my friends leaving, I am very social and extrovert, I do not think I would get through this alone, and I do not desire to take part in all these extra mandatory projects, on the other hand the benefits appeal to me very much, able to be considered as a second year student during my first year of university, as well as having a more advanced and in depth class.

I would really enjoy hearing your thoughts and experiences with the program and would love some advice on this decision. 

Thank you!

Edited by mads

Hello!! 

I need help. I am in 10th grade in Canada and I have submitted an application for the IB diploma program at my school. I have been doing IB since the 7th grade and I do not know if I want to proceed in this program. The majority of my friends dropped out in the 8th grade, right before the middle years program and the rest of them are dropping out before the diploma program. My parents are supporting what I end up deciding although my dad is really pushing me for this program.

I have heard many pros an cons, and I do not know what to choose mainly because of my friends leaving, I am very social and extrovert, I do not think I would get through this alone, and I do not desire to take part in all these extra mandatory projects, on the other hand the benefits appeal to me very much, able to be considered as a second year student during my first year of university, as well as having a more advanced and in depth class.

I would really enjoy hearing your thoughts and experiences with the program and would love some advice on this decision. 

Thank you!

Hi! Don't worry so much about your friends leaving, in my experience IB offers a ton of people with the same interests, so you'll always have someone supporting you. Also you can join clubs and make friends through that, so you'll be fine. 

Only drop out if you think you can't handle the work load. I won't sugarcoat it; there are a lot of projects and essays. I personally opted to stay in (even though I did want to drop out multiple times) because I improved a lot in IB and I liked what they offered and how they set me up college-wise. However, it isn't for everyone and mental health comes first, so if you think IB will hurt more than it will help you then don't stay in.

I hope this helped! :)

• Like 2

Guest beyondtheimagine

Hello!! 

Thank you!

I completely agree with IBthereforeIam2 . :D

I would also consider your grades too. If you're satisfied with your grades as being a Pre-IB student, continue the program! But if you aren't satisfied with your grades,I think it would be best for you to drop out.

I also noticed that you are from Canada as well!

Over where I live, universities allow Full IB Students to register two weeks before everyone else. As well your ib exam marks can replace your government exams! I'm not to sure if that's the same where you live!

Plus, it doesn't make any difference when you apply to university as an ib student, if you have the marks to get into the program, you'll get accepted. So, if you hear any rumours going around at your school, that IB will put you in a disadvantage for university, it is false!

Well that's how it works where I live, hopefully it's similar where you live too :)

I hope this helps :)