Which subjects combination will be best when apllying to universities?

Marie S

Hi! I am currently enrolled in the IBDP, and I have to decide my final subject combination in two weeks (this is when we start the additional HL topics in the subjects) and I was wondering what subject combination (becouse my grades will vary accordingly) will give me the best chance when applying to universities?

I have a 1390/1600 SAT score, and hope to study chemistry or politcal science and get into schools as NYU and UCLA (and Stanford and Yale, but I am aware this is rather unrealistic). I am torn between:

Option 1:
HL math - 4
HL physics - 5
HL chemistry - 7
HL norweagian B - 7

SL global politics - 7
SL english A - 6

This will give me a total of 38-39 points, and is definitly the harder combination and have an emphasis on the sciences. I am kind of worried I will get a 3 in math though, which scares me.

Option 2:
HL global politics - 7
HL norweagian B - 7
HL chemistry - 7

SL math - 6
SL physics - 6
SL englsih A - 6

This will give me a total of 41-42 points, and is definitly a lot easier and gives me a lot better grades. This would be better if I was sure I wanted to study something within the humanities, but I am as I said also considering studying chemistry and I wouldent want to ruin that oppertunity.

Which of these combinations will be best when applying to universities in the US? I would think they look at your courseload and compare that to your results, so I am not sure. And how good will my chances be at getting in to the schools mentioned above? Thank you so much for the help!

I would go for option 2, you have quite a few more points in that option and even though it may look easier...you're in IB and you have 42 points! Universities will be impressed. IB is an advanced curriculum and is already considered to be a challenging workload for NYU and UCLA. I think option 2 gives you the best chance of getting into those schools. 

• 4 weeks later...

Option 2, but depends on what do you want to study in university. If you want to study Engineering, Math HL is required. I will not recommend 4 HL, it's very time consuming when I have seen my friends who are exhausted after 4 HLs.

Since you want to study political science in Ivy Leagues or NYU or UCLA, go for option 2! 

^^look at prerequisites for your choice of program and in addition...

-Not trying to say "you can't do it" but whatever you end up choosing, hopefully it's not the option that depends on you getting a bunch of 7s because while of course it's possible, it's really hard and it's hard to realize just how hard it is in the beginning. (see sig). Just prepare well in the summer between year 1 and 2 and be prepared to work hard. It's just risky because for example I have friends who are losing out on a few acceptances because we differ by 1-2 courses (like math HL/SL).

-I see you're aiming for American schools (which I know nothing about) but be aware that many high-ranking Canadian school's only accept 3 SL, 3 HL combinations. (in case you apply to a few as secondary choices, best keep these options open)

Edited by NiCKEL