So, I'm doing my IOP on Thursday, and I've been working on my presentation(No slideshow). Anyway, I'm done my essay now and I've realized that I have no clue as to how I was supposed to compare it. The topic I chose was the theme of memory and how it affected the characters. Does anyone have any tips as to how I would write a comparative essay that's suitable for my presentation? The actual presentation should be no issue since I don't get nervous in front of people, in fact I get more excited, but its the writing of the essay that's bugging me.

Edited by Aamir Shaikh

So, I'm doing my IOP on Thursday, and I've been working on my presentation(No slideshow). Anyway, I'm done my essay now and I've realized that I have no clue as to how I was supposed to compare it. The topic I chose was the theme of memory and how it affected the characters. Does anyone have any tips as to how I would write a comparative essay that's suitable for my presentation? The actual presentation should be no issue since I don't get nervous in front of people, in fact I get more excited, but its the writing of the essay that's bugging me.

I did a comparison for my IOP and got a 7 on it (was comparing and contrasting thematic views on death). 

First off, make sure you have a solid thesis to link to and for comparative, what I did was that I outlined the general similarity between my two works (e.g. what both passages seem to suggest about death) and then I had differences where I talked about the general position of the speaker and other literary details. 

Next, what's most important when it comes to a comparative: make sure to not discuss your works separately; make it very clear that you're comparing the two works, so that the audience knows that you are comparing the two works. First off, I would come up with points that both works have in common in relation to your thesis and then dive into the similarities and differences between those works in terms of those points (could be what the author ultimately suggests about your particular theme, could be literary technique and the effects they have on the meaning in comparison to each other etc.)  Since this is an oral presentation, make sure you are able to explicitly link back to your thesis so then it is easy for the audience to follow what you're saying. 

Good luck with your IOP :D 

• Like 2