Subject choices

bubitom

I want to have the possibility to study medicine at elite uni's (Oxford, Cambridge etc.), but I don't want to fully limit my options to medicine. I'm still not fully decided on medicine so I would also like to keep my options open in the humanitarian study/career path, i.e law or economics. I have to submit my choices tomorrow. I chose HL: Chem, Bio, Math, His; SL: English A Finnish B, but unfortunately these subject choices will not be possible, which is due to History HL and Biology HL lessons overlapping. This has made me very confused with my subject choices and I am not really sure what to do with my subject choices. Please provide me some insight on this matter  :D

Subjects available: Mathematics( studies, SL, HL),  Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Psychology, History, Philosophy(SL only) and languages English and Finnish

A bit of a predicament here - to be competitive in Oxford or Cambridge for medicine having Biology and Chemistry at HL is basically a requirement whether they say so or not. 

If you think you might struggle with Math HL or would be at all happy in SL then I'd suggest taking that, as it's the least "mandatory" of your subjects for UK Medicine (albeit still very useful) and take History instead. But if you truly want to do Math HL then I'd have to say drop history and try your luck with Law and Bio/Chem/Math. If you're still interested in Economics than dropping HL Math is no longer an option either.

I'd say drop History to SL, because it's definitely not a requirement for any course you seem to be interesting, although it will help a lot for law. Law schools generally want to see you having a passion for the subject, stamina to study it, and experience in related issues, so I'd say more than HL History if you're in a debate team or active in MUN, or have some sort of experience with heavy paperwork, you'd be fine for law, and with Math HL you're absolutely set for Economics anyways. 

Edited by dhirajsnarula

I think the difficulty is keeping live economics AND law. For law you should pick an essay subject at HL, doesn't matter which one, from your list HL English (Lit) would make the most sense. For economics, you'll need HL Maths. If you only have one space thanks to Biology and Chemistry, then you're kind of forced into making a choice on that one. However the economics courses would probably also like you to have studied economics (although if your school doesn't offer it then they would also understand), so on balance if you have zero personal preference on which 'dream' to keep alive(!!) I would go with Law as it'll leave you the most competitive.