Hi everyone!!

I'm starting my 1st year of the IB programe upcoming September, and I'm just wondering, what are the best textbooks available for these subjects?

HL: MATH

CHEMISTRY

HISTORY

SL: ENGLISH A LangLit

BIOLOGY

GERMAN B 

Thank you for all your advice!! 

Sophia ;)  :P

I'm currently taking German A and I would suggest you to use this book:  "Themen, Texte und Strukturen" (Idk, maybe it could be a little bit advanced)

I don't know how the level of German B is, but I don't think that it will be that low...

Math - I've used  Haese Mathematics at school

Chemistry/Biology/History - Pearson/Oxford are pretty good to go with your school textbook

German- For second languages, any basic grammar book can get you by

English- You really don't need to get a textbook for this subject because the best way to learn the material is from a teacher who can give feedback.

Good luck and Enjoy IB.

• Like 1

On 9 March 2016 at 11:02 PM, Moma said:

I'm currently taking German A and I would suggest you to use this book:  "Themen, Texte und Strukturen" (Idk, maybe it could be a little bit advanced)

I don't know how the level of German B is, but I don't think that it will be that low...

From what I've heard from my German teacher, SL is somewhere between B1 and B2 level (nothing hard to be honest (this is what she said) and HL is more like B2/C1-..

One of my friends who took German in the IB recommended to me "Deutsch im Einsatz" but it's very very hard to get in Poland

And what do you think about Math textbooks from Haese Publications? I used it for my IGCSEs and it was quite good

• 1 month later...

For history, I really like using Lies My Teacher Told Me and A People's History of the United States for historiography since they cover the colonial period to modern era. Personally, I don't think that there's a specific book you should use for history or literature. My best advice would be just to find books that cover the topic you're studying. Also, as bad as this may sound (and I'm not encouraging you to use this as a source on ANYTHING), Wikipedia is the best place to look if you just want quick information... ESPECIALLY if you are needing to find more information on an historical event. As for literature, I would read previous IB essays to understand how to format your papers and what content needs to be inside them. Overall, IB is really about getting used to finding what suit your needs the best. :)