Hi everyone, 

I just got my letter of acceptance for the I.B program, which I will be attending next year for grade 9 (I'm going to be doing the french immersion program as well!!) I really want to start off on the right foot, so I was wondering if any of you had some tips you wished you had known going into the I.B program? I know it's a very difficult program to be in, but I really want to do well and succeed so I would really appreciate your help! 

Thanks!!!

P.S,

Thank you all so much for your advice and tips for I.B! I've been really freaking out lately about the program and you all helped so much. I will definitively be using all your tips to help me prepare for the program! Let the studying begin!!! 

Edited by GirlOnline

Make sure you do all of your CAS reflections and try to plan all the internal assessments ahead of time, one of my biggest mistake was having too much free time on my hand during my first year of IB and now that I'll be finishing this May I managed to just cramp everything in time before the deadlines, and that was really stressfull haha :) but good luck! 

• Like 1

In all honesty, you can't do much to prepare for pre-IB or IB1. I tried to but really, I just spent some time in the summer, reviewing for some subjects. Think about what you'd to for CAS towards the end of your pre-ib year and you'll be alright. Try to enjoy your summers, there will be quite a bit of work when you start IB. :)

Brace yourself. 

There's going to be a workload of work and you're just going to have to accept that. You MIGHT have some moments when you just want to quit, and hate yourself for thinking of doing IB, but everyone goes through that. In the end, its up to you on whether you'd like to keep doing it. These moments may happen often.

Pay close attention to your teachers during lessons. Ask for help immediately when you need it - NEVER procrastinate on that. One time I waited until the day before a test for extra help and that was SO stressful. You do not want to be in a situation like that.

Make a to-do list, it's very convenient and keeps you focussed on getting your work done. 

Make an outline for ALL essays to avoid a long period of writer's block.

Do your CAS efficiently and show as many evidence as possible (photos) to show personal engagement and improvements. This will help you for your CAS presentation in Grade 12.

Hey there! 

I wouldn't worry too much at all, and instead just enjoy the holidays. As Rosalina said, there isn't really much you can do subject-wise.

What you can and should do, though, is to fine-tune your time management skills. Figure out what kind of systems that work for you. IB is not too difficult (given that you choose the right subjects, i.e. compatible with your interests and skills), one of the only things that makes it difficult is the lack of good time management. Know that what works for you might be very different from the one that works for your friends.

For me, a mixture between a task list and time-blocking with the help of Google Calendar has been very helpful at university, though I've heard that task lists can be rather counter-productive for others, especially if you're easily daunted by long lists of to-dos. I've heard that a list of have-dones is supposed to have a psychological advantage, though is probably not that good for planning.

Setting deadlines for yourself could work as well, either by setting deadlines for you to finish your work or a deadline for when you have start to work on an assignment. There's a lot of self-help articles out there on these things - a lot of them are pretty pretentious and have a 'it worked for me/someone so have to work for everyone' mentality, but there are a few science-backed articles out there as well :)

Good luck! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GirlOnline said:

Hi everyone, 

I just got my letter of acceptance for the I.B program, which I will be attending next year for grade 9. I really want to start off on the right foot, so I was wondering if any of you had some tips you wished you had known going into the I.B program? I know it's a very difficult program to be in, but I really want to do well and succeed so I would really appreciate your help! 

Thanks!

First off, congratulations on your acceptance :D 

I would say enjoy grade 9 and grade 10 while it lasts because the actual DP does not start until grade 11. Though if you want some advice, I'd say to start stuff early if you can and try not to leave assignments/studying the night before because you will have a terrible time. If you have time it's always good to review the stuff you did in class bit by bit every night. It is true that IB is not easy and I'm not going to lie you will have those times where you feel so stressed, but you will get used to it. It all comes down to prioritizing your work and time management. 

In addition to what people have said before, get comfortable with the second language that you will be doing in the actual IB program. You may also want to ask or read about the internal assessment for the subjects offered at your school so it won't be a shock to you when you realize what you have to do. Lastly, by the time you enter the IB, be able to do a lot of work without procrastinating too much, or that will set you back a lot. Good luck!