Hey!

I'm going to be starting the Pre-I.B French Immersion (grade 9) program this upcoming September, and I been trying to get a head start. I'm going to be doing a lot of reviewing and studying to help me prepare for pre-I.B! I was wondering if any of you can recall what you all learnt in grade 9 pre-I.B (english, science, french, math, etc...).  I've tried researching the curriculum online, but I never get great results! 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your responses! 

- Girl Online 

From my experience, there's no need to prepare for the Pre-IB, as long as you're not significantly behind in school work right now for whatever reason, and is really struggling. In fact, quite a lot people I've talked to say that there's no need to even prepare for the real International Baccalaureate. The reason why you'll never get any great results from researching the "Pre-IB curriculum" online is because there isn't one. Every school has a different Pre-IB curriculum - I recently changed schools and we study things such as Psychology, Philosophy and Physics (something which we didn't at my last school). Normally, you'll study the normal 9th grade curriculum, but the Pre-IB curriculum is probably even more vague than the 9th grade curriculum, because the IB usually differs greatly from normal 10th grade curriculum, and the ultimate point of all this is to prepare you for the IB.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, GirlOnline said:

Hey!

I'm going to be starting the Pre-I.B French Immersion (grade 9) program this upcoming September, and I been trying to get a head start. I'm going to be doing a lot of reviewing and studying to help me prepare for pre-I.B! I was wondering if any of you can recall what you all learnt in grade 9 pre-I.B (english, science, french, math, etc...).  I've tried researching the curriculum online, but I never get great results! 

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your responses! 

- Girl Online 

With Pre-IB you will find there is no set curriculum. At my school it was nothing more than honors classes. In history we did OPVLs (now OPCVLs) and wrote a practice IA. In my other classes we didn't do anything specific to IB other than learning the foundations of each subject in order to be successful in the more advanced classes. 

As someone who's been through Pre-IB, don't stress to much about it. It only gets harder, so enjoy the last moments of 'freedom'.

~IB_taking_over

• Like 1

Pre-IB is nothing special, really. And greatly depends on the school/country. I had to do the regular Polish curriculum in pre-IB, because that's the law, we couldn't deviate from it until we actually entered the IB. The only difference was that we did some of it in English. Pre-IB is redundant, to be perfectly honest, so is any preparation for IB in general, other than maybe language B practice if you need it. IB is designed as a 2 year course and is perfectly doable as such. 

In Canada, typically pre-IB involves taking the regular provincial curriculum. While we did go into some IB topics related to math and chemistry in pre-IB, we were given a summary, albeit brief recall lesson. The main difference between the pre-IB classes and the regular classes is the pace of the classes (many people who did not take an enrichment program in junior high/middle school had difficulties keeping up with the pace.) High expectations and the behaviour of the classes could be a difference, but it depends from pace to pace. Do tell me if you'd like to know what IB material we covered in pre-IB as I would have to dig it out.

There is no need to prep for pre-IB since it's probably just doing the regular provincial curriculum. Pre-IB is like testing the waters and just a general indicator of how you might do in the actual IB so don't worry about anything yet.

Please, do enjoy the free time and normal amount of sleep you get in grade 9 and 10.