Grade 12 IB diploma, should I take it?

I guess it's up to you? The IB diploma, to my knowledge, has excellent University recognition in Canada. You should probably consider what you want to do after you finish school and then work out whether you get more benefit out of having a IB diploma, or more benefit from having whatever alternative qualifications you get if you don't do the IB. What are your long term plans?

20 minutes ago, Sandwich said:

I guess it's up to you? The IB diploma, to my knowledge, has excellent University recognition in Canada. You should probably consider what you want to do after you finish school and then work out whether you get more benefit out of having a IB diploma, or more benefit from having whatever alternative qualifications you get if you don't do the IB. What are your long term plans?

I'm planning to go to a university in Canada, at least for undergraduate, but I'm not sure of what career I'll take later on in life.

I think if you are overall sustain the workload, you should continue to the end of it. It doesn't make quite a difference in the last year to leave IB but has it been much earlier there may have been advantages to leaving IB if you were super strong in just a few subject (and to then enter into a specialized high school). A friend claimed to have increased from a 4~5 to a 7 by the final exams on English A Lit so it is definitely possible!

All your classes will get harder next year so definitely be ready! If English is pulling you back start working on this over the summer and make sure to get in great preparations for your English IAs.

• Like 1

Guest beyondtheimagine

2 hours ago, Moony_PirateKing said:

I'm currently in IB diploma, but it is really challenging to get above 70 grades in English. Im doing ok in my other classes, getting 80's and 90's, but English, while enjoyable, is really hard on me. I'm going into grade 12 next year so I'm wondering whether or not I should drop IB diploma...

Any advices?

I think you should start by researching which undergraduate program, your interested in. From there, check out what the admission requirements are for that specific program. If your marks are not meeting the admission requirements, then you should drop out. If your marks are meeting the admission requirements, then you should continue on.

But if I were you, I would drop out of English A lit and go 'regular' because your average will most likely increase (many of my friends who are in grade 12 did this, and their mark significantly increased). Where I live, my ib grade and my alberta grade are combined. So, maybe that 70 is your ib grade but not your actual province or territory grade?

But then again, it also depends where you live (province and territory wise), I'm from Alberta and I have to do government exams in grade 12 (next year). By doing subjects in IB, it allows me to have the opportunity to have two chances to achieve a high score- as universities will take the highest mark.

I hope this somewhat helps you :D

Chantel

Edited by beyondtheimagine