Business and Management IA HL Help)

We're starting our internal assessment now, and I think it's a kind of early as we haven't gone through all the topics yet. For my investigating I picked a question linked to Research and Development ( as it was the only one, I could think about), however we haven't really studied it yet. My question is How a company can organise Research and Development to improve the efficiency of the business, to stay competitive... any advice on what I should include for this essay? And how can I actually start the essay with a good theoretical framework?

• Like 1

Honestly, I don't think that is a good RQ. For the Business IA you should have a topic more like: How can company X (Fill in the name) develop its research and development with the aim of improving its efficiency. Honestly, I think R&D is too broad of a topic and you won't be able to investigate it further, so your IA won't be as rich as it could possibly be if you approached a topic like "Should company x expand its operations to China in the long-term?" Now, this may seem quite broad, but its exactly what you want. This allows you to talk about all the aspects of your company including financial analysis, PEST, SWOT, Driving and Restraining forces, etc.. although since you have yet to cover all topics i suggest you do some self-study from the text-book, most business tools are quite straightforward.  This is what I think you're lacking, you're falling into the trap that your IA must be foucused on one specific business topic when it should cover a whole variety of different topics from the business topics, that is where the high grades come from. So if I were you i'd change my topic to something along the lines of " Should company X expand its operations to Indonesia (Or some other country) on the medium/long-term" and then you could go ahead and discuss the other alternative, which is not expanding and focusing on R&D developments in the firm's home country.  Now, assuming you're doing a business from Belgium, take all factors into considerations including trade agreements, currency values etc. Cover all angles, and look at samples from the IBO and i'm sure you'll do good. If you need further help just P.M me. 

Best Regards.

DJG.  

Edited by Djsporting
  • Like 1