World Lit Assignment 1- English

so, my teacher has given us no indication of what to do for the World Lit Assignment
He basically said, compare two works. Its due in december. Now, moving along...
If anyone has any advice or any help please send it this way! I really want to get a start on it as my IA for World History is due THE SAME DAY
BTW, my texts are The stranger, the metamorphosis, siddhartha, and crime and punishment

Ok, the only one of these books that I've actually read is metamorphosis.. butt.. it's a good start... Ok, basically, there are two world literatures assignments. One of them can be creative, the other has to be analytical.. I don' t know which you need help with, but perhaps the easiest way to start is with the analytical one because that's the one thats the most similar to all other tousand IB works...
First thing you've gotta do is find something common between any two of the books.. (I guess you could do with more, but perhaps two is better..) ... then you'll need a RQ.. and from there it's somewhat simple, just compare/contrast them, try to get an answer to your question, don't forget to explain everything in the introduction, same as all other IB papers...
For the creative one (which, as I've said, is optional, cause you could do two analytical ones..), same thing.. you need to choose two (I THINK you can do it with only one, not sure though) DIFFRENT works from the first one, and basically you get to mix up the stories go crazy on it.. For example if you wanted to put Gregor in some other of the novels that would be an option, or you could write an extra chapter where he comes back from being a bug, something in that direction.... and, that's about it I guess. Of course, in this case you'll need an introduction explaining what you're going to do with the stories and so on..
^^

well, obviously u should look for something at least two of these books have in common... i would advise u only to compare two works as it would be harder to compare three, AND it would be really hard not to pass the maximum word limit when discussing three works...

try to find something original the works have in common, not just a typical theme... you can choose a certain symbol present in all works, or a common meaning of the titles, or anything of that sort

good luck =)

Do NOT do existentialism.. too common & the author
himself states tht though some of his views co-incide with existentialists
he is not one himself. I did the a comparitive essay on the Stranger & Metamorphosis
there are a lot of references to senses and isolation in both.. i might wna go tht route.

Once u got ur topic i'd say start out finding similarities, using 'em create an outline
give tht in to the teacher, ask her opinion, give in 1st draft, she'll mark it and then
furnish it.. make sure u dun plagiarize, may not be intentional but it's quite easy to do.

it doesn't matter if the author himself is not an existentialist. you are not doing a biography, but a world literature assignment.

isolation and senses are embodied in the concept of existentialism, and I doubt that the theme of "isolation" is not common among WL writers.

Edited by Forester

I have the same problem as heronumbazero. I have to start working on my WLA (Romanian). And I would actually enjoy doing it, if I actually knew what I'm supposed to do. I have Romanian self-taught, so this is the one and only essay I have to write (fortunately).

My question is...should I find a research question different from the title?

ps: I'm doing Death of a salesman and Hundred years of solitude, comparing the lives and personalities of the patriarchal figures (Willy Loman and Jose Arcadio Buendia). Should I find an additional research question or is this enough?

Okay, this is sending me off in the right direction. Thanks a bunch!
I have two questions:
1. Cutetare said RQ? What's that?
2. What two works would you pick and compare? You don't have to give me any justification, just thoughts.

Oh, and can I contrast ideas in this paper? like siddhartha vs. stranger (totally dfferent)

• 2 weeks later...