Physics IA help!!

Amberrose248

Hi! I'm wanting to do an IA on something to do with gymnastics/swimming, or another kind of sport and I'm not quite sure how to start.

Would the data have to be primary, i.e. video myself and analysing those videos, or could videos off Youtube be used?

Also, what kind of physics would I be able to use in the IA? :) thanks a ton!

I can't answer your first question as I'm not quite familiar with grading criteria for IAs these days...

As to your second question, there are all kinds of physics involved in sports, from mechanics, through bio-physics or sound and waves up to thermodynamics, but what you'll do will largely depend on what sport you choose and what aspect of it you analyse.

If you plan your experiment to involve analysis of motion from normal video, I can tell you it will be tricky. Just finished a course in sports technology, in which my friend did her project on analysis of one of jumps in gymnastics. And although she was using a 3D motion capture system, she still struggled to get high quality of data. An addtional problem with normal video is the fact that the image is in 2 dimensions and extraction of 3d motion is somewhat complicated. And you need some kind of callibration to be able to measure distances for example.

So that was the pesimistic part, now for something more promissing. While we can't give you a topic to focus on, sports are full of areas which have little or no research in, so sometimes even doing simple experiments you can find out something interesting. As a cyclist I'd recommend something related to this, as it not only involves a human, but also a machine and their interaction (yeah, I'm biased). And one more point - sometimes more information can be obtained from an acceleroeter rather than a video - smartphones can serve as pretty powerful measuring equipment if you realise how many sensors they have and how these can be used.

I'm quite interested in this field so I'm happy to help as much as I'm able to.

Edited by Slovakov

1 hour ago, Amberrose248 said:

@Slovakov Thank you so much! :) This has given me a lot of things to think about.

My teacher also suggested doing something about ho the volume of liquid in a wine glass affects the frequency produced. Do you think this is a good enough IA? As in, not too easy and well worth investigating?

Any questions suggested by your teacher should be ok. "Good enough IA" really depends on how much details you can provide to support your claims. In any case, you should not stop at graphing data and drawing a line of best fit. Background information and in depth analysis of data are also very important.