Sign in to follow this  

IB recommended Subjects for UK universities.

For medicine and related degrees, 2 HL sciences and Maths SL is recommended. Only take Maths HL if

your maths is very good. London medical schools prefer a Group 3 HL as well to show that you can

rite essays. You can select any other SL subjects to show your breath of interests.

Eng A1 HL demonstrates that you can write essays too! :D

. . and want subjects with a lower writing load

What major would one go into in uni with Eng SL, [Lang] ab initio, Geo HL, Design Tech HL, Math Studies, and Visual Arts HL? :D

Moneyfaery, I think if you choose that combination of subjects you can probably go into design? maybe?

I can see that your cousin's school does not offer any A1 language except English and there are no A2 languages offered. Although they seem very helpful, it is better for ambitious prospective students to choose at least 2 at HL from this list

- English A1

- Maths

- Physics

- Chemistry

- History

It says that for economics, business and management degrees you can take either Math HL, Math SL or Math Studies. Whaat? I was always told that Math studies was a big no-no for these degrees, and in the UK the good unis look down at you if you only have Math SL when you are pursuing these degrees. :D

It says that for economics, business and management degrees you can take either Math HL, Math SL or Math Studies. Whaat? I was always told that Math studies was a big no-no for these degrees, and in the UK the good unis look down at you if you only have Math SL when you are pursuing these degrees. :D

You're right. If you do Math Studies, you shouldn't study Economics, it's very mathematical. However, I'm assuming that the guide is written for those of us applying to 'normal' universities so Math SL is fine in that case for Econ and B&M.

hia...im from zimbabwe....well studin here even tho was born in uk so random.....anyway im doing HL maths, physics and chemistry...SL english french and business studies.....i hav no clue wat to do tho at uni....only somethin in teh sciences can anyone give me some ideas.....and also which unis offers scholarships and are good??....

For overall rankings, check this out http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/hybr...sp?typeCode=144

If you have a EU passport, then you will generally not get scholarships in the UK as far as I know, but fees will be much cheaper than if you are a non-EU/non-swiss citizen

An admissions officer from some UK uni told me that scholarships are often reserved for non-eu/non-swiss students, but its not a full scholarship and this particular scholarship makes u pay as much as a eu/swiss student

Edited by Mark

Urmm I can't get the PDF :C Must be the fact that I'm not a VIP.

Can someone tell me what subject combination I should to take get a Business/Management Related Degree, like publicists kind of thing..

Maths SL is definitely not sufficient enough to get yourself into Economics courses in the top UK Unis, even if you manage to get a 7

I am so sure about this

Not pure Economics, except for St Andrews.

However, it's fine for the following:

PPE - Ox (and the others)

Industrial Economics - Warwick

Land Economy - Cambridge

Government and Economics - LSE (they do prefer HL)

Accounting and Finance - LSE (they do prefer HL)

Actually, even for Ox, Math HL is only "highly desirable", but I'm pretty sure that means you have to have it XD .