Math SL or Studies

Vvi

I'm not that bad at math. I originally took SL because I thought I might want to study pure Economics in university. However, I now want to study Intl Relations and French.

Therefore, I'm thinking of dropping my Math SL to Studies. None of the universities I'm applying to (St. Andrews, Edinburgh, Leeds, Nottingham, Aberdeen) specify anything about required IB grades in Math on the UCAS website.

I think that dropping SL will give me a better chance of getting a higher grade, but I'm worried that it will look bad on my application. Does anyone know (especially anyone who attends one of those universities) whether or not having Math Studies will affect my application in any way?

I'd think of it this way: a 5 in SL Math = a 7 in Studies. If you know you'll can't get higher than 5 in SL, but could get a 7 in Studies, why not do it. However, if you have the chance of getting a 6 in SL Math there really is no point to it. It does look better on your application but I must say, it is not pertinent to your application.

My IBC would NOT let me take Studies because I'd taken precalculus in 10th grade (note: I must say I bombed the class but she went, "psssht, must've been a big misunderstanding." Yeah, I misunderstood my way into failure :dunno: ) Some universities recognize Studies, but others don't. I'm planning on a polsci major and, like you, thought that SL would be useless; I decided against it because a) I thought I might regret it and b) MY IBC WOULDN'T LET ME.

I keep thinking: what if the only difference between me and someone else is that s/he took math SL? But that shouldn't make a difference with majors like IR/polsci, so I guess it shouldn't hinder your chances of acceptance.

Thanks guys. I went with Studies and dropped SL. Had my first class today, and was happy with it because they are doing easy stuff (surface area and finding the midpoint of a line :dunno: ). Maybe a bit too easy, but I'm not complaining.

It was a relief because I have spent the last 4 years secretly panicking about my IB Math exams, since there's just no way that I was ever going to get more than a 5. I have always thought that if I was ever going to fail in any subject, it would be Math.

You see the thing is, Mark, that many universities now use math to judge the person's logic. They'll prefer a Maths SL student over a Math Studies student, that's for sure.

So if you "can" do Maths SL, then you should. It'll do you better for universities than Math Studies. (But of course the grades play a role too. That doesn't mean that if a person studied Maths SL and got a 2 its better than a 6 in Maths Studies.)

Edited by Anonymouser

• 2 months later...

My advice would be to go with Maths SL if math is something that you don't particularly struggle in. While taking a calculus class in college isn't always a requirement, I do have some friends in Universities that have to take it as general ed. Despite what their major may end up being. If this is the case where you plan on going to University, then having the basis from high school will make one less class you have to worry about.

My advice would be to go with Maths SL if math is something that you don't particularly struggle in. While taking a calculus class in college isn't always a requirement, I do have some friends in Universities that have to take it as general ed. Despite what their major may end up being. If this is the case where you plan on going to University, then having the basis from high school will make one less class you have to worry about.

This topic is 2 months old, and I already decided to drop down to Studies (as stated in my last post in October).

Thanks anyways.