Is the IB worth it?

Cyfern

Hello, IB students!

Here in Sweden it's time for students to decide what they want to study and I can't really decide. I'm really contemplating doing the IB, but everything I read seems to be negative. It's either way too hard or just not worth it (or at least that's how it seems). So instead I might take a normal Swedish programme called "naturvetenskapsprogrammet" which teaches biology, physics, chemistry and mathematics as the main subjects, however you obviously study other subjects as well.

Slight problem is I can't stand biology, history (which you have to study) or religion. Especially biology, therefor the IB seems like a clear choice, right? Well, I don't know. Which is why I'm asking you is the IB really that hard? Is it worth doing? I mean, I have more options for further studies if I choose the Swedish programme (within Sweden, which is where I'll probably end up studying).

Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

unrelated:

Planned subject: HL: physics, psychology & English B. SL: Swedish A (lit(?)), mathematics (not studies) & chemistry.

The school seems really good by the way, having an average of about 2-3 points above the worldwide average each year.

It's an intense, high level high school programme. Is it a complete, undoable nightmare? Totally not. You need to ask yourself why you want to do the IB, and if there are any advantages for it over the Swedish national programme. I chose the IB because the Polish programme really didn't appeal to me, I didn't want to study all of the subjects throughout high school and the history programme really wasn't up my street. I was also set on applying to university in the UK so thought that studying in English, and getting a qualification that's better recognised than the Polish Matura, would be beneficial. 

I found that, in comparison to the Polish curriculum, it prepared me better for university in the UK. I learnt how to write high-quality essays, research, write reflective statements, handle workload and a certain amount of independent study, time management etc. 

I also really enjoyed my higher level subjects, History and Psychology, so that was a bonus. 

Basically, what I recommend, is think of what advantages and disadvantages IB has for you in particular. You can have a look at the syllabi (you can find them in the downloads section) to see if the topics covered seem interesting, too :)

• Like 2

For me, NO!

I spent 70% of my time studying literature, economics and biology, something that I really really really DONT NEED AT ALL. I could have spent more time on maths if I chose a level in the first place. 

The basic question you need to ask yourself is, do I want to stay and work in Scandinavia or move abroad?

If you don't want to move abroad DON'T DO THE IB!!!

Life is short and happiness is fleeting. If you don't need to subject yourself to excruciating pain, DON'T DO IT.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the I.B. is worth it if you are able to manage your time. Most people drop out of IB because of the workload taking up their time, leaving no room for personal interests. However, many people in IB never miss any fun (i.e. social events) if you have good skills as a student. You can make IB manageable by choosing the right courses (ones you find easy, or ones that interest you alot) too. 

I agree with the fact that you should write down advantages and disadvantages. At the end of the day I.B. may not make you a better lawyer, doctor, teacher, etc. than others. However if you value the experience of challenging yourself, so that you might perform better in post-secondary schooling (at least in the first few years), then it's definitley worth a shot. If you don't like it, maybe you can drop out later?

• 1 month later...

I think its not really worth it. When I dropped out if IB I got to focus more on what I wanted to learn such as math and science (which is what I want my career to be with). I dropped out and took AP classes related to math and science. I no longer have t take subjects that I hated such as HL History or HL economics. When I finish high school I will have 6 years of math and 5 years of science. So its up to you.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Gosha211 said:

I think its not really worth it. When I dropped out if IB I got to focus more on what I wanted to learn such as math and science (which is what I want my career to be with). I dropped out and took AP classes related to math and science. I no longer have t take subjects that I hated such as HL History or HL economics. When I finish high school I will have 6 years of math and 5 years of science. So its up to you.

Please refrain from bringing up old topics.