Doing an option by myself

Ayanoo

Hello all,

My class is mostly focused on medicine and I'm the only one taking Chemistry HL without Bio HL, and I was wondering if any of you decided on learning an option by themselves? They are all hyped about biochemistry, but I'd rather do Medicine and Drugs, as it seems easier and more interesting to me. What are your experiences with self-learning? Is it possible?

You learn the option the way you have the most resources. If you do not have books or past papers or online resources available for M&D then you should not learn the topic. For previous session we were supposed to do 2 options but we were taught 3 in class so we can choose the ones to do on the paper. We had access to many past paper questions so the options were quite successful as a class. If possible, you should also pay attention in class when they talk about biochem because there is some conceptual overlap with M&D. By learning 2 options (while focusing on one) you would have a better idea of which is easier and more interesting. 

• Like 1

There are plenty of online resources for this topic as it is a continuation from the old syllabus topic. There are also lots of practice exam questions available. One thing you have to be aware of is that the syllabus has changed and there may be topics that have added or removed. 

• Like 1