N0painnogain$

Hi everyone.

So im in my final year of IB and will sit my exams in may 2016. I'm currently living in Australia but want to study engineering or business at uni in Canada. So far I've been rejected by UBC,McGill and Polytechnique Montreal. I am starting to get scared I will not be able to get into uni as my grades have been bad but do not reflect my real potential as I thought only the final grade counted. The thing is they won't change until the final exams but will it be too late at that point? I am not very familiar with how uni systems work in Canada but is there a way to apply to uni's after I get my final IB score? Also if anyone has any suggestions on any good unis for engineering or business in Canada I would appreciate it. I've also applied to University of Ottawa but haven't heard from them yet.

Also I believe I believe i am able to achieve a grade between 35-37 in my final if that is of any help.

Thanks for any help provided.

I can only speak for Ontario but the universities here will take in your predicted grades for all subjects except the ones you may have already completed, which I believe is up to 2 SLs in the first year. Your final grade probably won't help since I'm pretty sure you have to accept the offer by June 1, 2016, even though the final IB results come later. I'm going to list some Ontario universities that are known for good business/engineering programs.

Business:

University of Western Ontario (or Western University), they are well-known for their Ivey Business School.

Queen's University, I've heard that they have a good business program and they have a summer internships.

University of Toronto, because U of T has literally everything and it's a good uni.

Engineering:

University of Waterloo, very well known for engineering and their co-op program, however they require very high marks (95%+) to receive an offer. Note: a 6 is 93-96% in Ontario marks, and a 7 is 97%-100%, however I'm unsure if they convert your IB grades into Ontario marks for international students as they do with Ontario students.

University of Toronto, they have a good engineering program and they have internships (PEY) instead of co-op.

McMaster University, they are primarily focused on the sciences such as health sciences, but their engineering program is also good and they also have co-op.

I would also like to comment that the curriculum of all the universities in Ontario are the same for engineering and the degree that you will receive is the same. The reason why I've listed those unis above is because of their connections. For example, Waterloo and U of T's engineering co-op and internship are known very well by big tech companies such as Google, Apple, IBM, etc., which is why it's advised to send an application to those unis.

I wouldn't be too worried about not getting into uni so long as your predicted marks add up to more than 24 points. You could apply to other universities and still get the same degree and be just as qualified for a job. Even if you don't like the program/school, you can always transfer schools after the first year. Hope this helped! 

unfortunately admissions are based on your predicted grades. By the time July rolls around, you should be already packing and have eyes on a specific school that has accepted you. However, generally you can always call or otherwise request and opportunity to update your marks (before school ends) so even if you go up by 1 point or 2% or whatever you can update your marks. But realistically, if you are unsatisfied with your marks at this point, it's unfortunately going be very hard to change anything.

Some suggestions, disregarding application deadlines 'cause I can't remember all of them:

For engineering, try Waterloo, McMaster, Toronto, or Queen's. For Business, all those except waterloo would be pretty decent. Toronto will be hard for business but easier for engineering. 

Some "weaker" ones include Simon Fraser University, University of Alberta, but those would be more for if you really just want to get into Canada because they have no outstanding reputation for engineering or business.